The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was repaired before I got it. The crack is why I got it at a good price used. This is what happens when you don't humidify your acoustic guitar in Edmonton, especially during the winter. You can see the main crack and a smaller one just a little to the page left. I had to exaggerate the burst to see it. It was repaired by a luthier who used to work at Avenue Guitars but now works at The Acoustic Music Shop. It was quite the crack and it looks like they did a more than good enough job, but you can still see it.

So, if you live in a place where the climate is arid, summer and/or winter, humidify it.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
I have one in my Simon & Patrick 12--it hasn't changed the sound or grown in years--but humidifying does help--but it can't stop you from accidentally putting your elbow into it--fortunately minor damage in my case...

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
An excellent reminder. You should repost this again around the end of October.

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
Anywhere with wood heat or even a wood burning fireplace is a real problem. Those things kill humidity real quick. And apartments get dry too.

I keep my place at 50% humidity all year around @Robert1950 so if you ever need a place to store your guitars for the winter......... :D

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Hard to tell from the photo, but that looks as much like a joint separation as a crack. Of course the cause is still the same.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Anywhere with wood heat or even a wood burning fireplace is a real problem. Those thing kill humidity real quick. And apartments get dry too.

I keep my place at 50% humidity all year around @Robert1950 so if you ever need a place to store your guitars for the winter......... :D
I would take you up on the offer but I feel you would get so tired of driving/flying back and forth to the east coast every time I wanted to play my guitar that you would get upset with me.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts