The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somedays my go-to guitar just doesn't sound right. Same licks, same amp, same effects, same settings. It just feels as if the sound isn't quite there. So, I'll go grab something I haven't played in a while such as my Big Apple Strat and it just works. The next time, the main Strat (American Elite HSS) sounds perfectly joyous again. What gives?

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Some days nothing sounds right. And I realize its just me. Maybe another guitar would work, maybe not. I survived fine for most of the last 43 years dedicated to one guitar, usually one electric, one acoustic but sometimes only one period.
The only reason I keep multiple guitars now is cause I can. Its nice to have a couple of tele's a strat and a couple of acoustics to suit whatever mood I'm in. But I could easily live with one.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I'm like some others. Played 1 guitar for over 30 years but now I switch fairly often. 1 LP and 1 Tele (CVC)...both tend to lead me in different directions. But both are set up to go to Hard rock or Blues, just slightly different flavors. Any Stones or Country sounds with Tele, mostly rock and certain Blues with either. Then there are the 3 acoustics to contend with. And a Bass. Maybe I'll just go upstairs and play the Piano.

That's it, I quit guitar. I'm going to be a Pianist now. haha kidding aside, I like to tackle the Piano for ideas and sounds. I know just enough to be dangerous....sorta.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I keep this quote handy from another forum. Too bad I didn't save who wrote it (not me):

I have too many guitars and many don't get played at all. Several have tones that I couldn't separate with a razor blade. There's a strong case to be made for rationalizing my collection down to two or three that offer significantly distinctive sounds.

What I struggle with, however, is that the joy that I get from my collection isn't limited only to the sounds that they produce. I love everything about them: the design, the physical beauty, the feel, and the completely irrational emotional responses.

So, on the one hand it makes no practical sense to have a collection like I do. On the other hand, it makes me happy.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have two electrics that I play regularly, and they are very different guitars.

One is woody, shorter scale, set neck, humbuckers and the other is sparkly/twangy, longer scale, bolt-on, single coils.

There is some overlap, and I could probably get away with just one, but usually a given song or sound just works best on one of those guitars vs. the other.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
I have five electrics: PRS McCarty 594 humbuckers, Strat single coils, Tele single/mini, SG P90s and Gretsch G5420T Filtertron style. All of them sound different, although I suppose I could get them all to sound close enough to one another with amp settings and pedals if I worked at it. For acoustics I have a small parlour, a jumbo 12-string, a medium body NL-00, a slope (J-45) and a square (Hummingbird). Again, all different feels and sounds. I also have a bass.

I suppose I could have one acoustic, one electric and one amp. Maybe I'd keep my bass and a bass amp, too. That would be three guitars.

That said, I wouldn't want to pare things down. I would be hard-pressed to pick which ones to keep.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
I could get along with one electric with the right multi-fx unit but I would always be wanting more than one acoustic. Probably one electric and 3 or 4 acoustics including a 12 string.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Electrics? I need fewer than acoustics, but I want variety. Basically divided between single coils (Telecasters, a P-90 Godin, and a Progression), and humbuckers (a Tele, a Gretsch and a Godin).

My guitar life is more about acoustics, 6, 12, resonator, nylon, lap, baritone, archtop, and some variations (tenor, bouzouki, guitjo). Lots of tones. I suppose that if I had to, I could survive with one acoustic and a mandolin, like when I go camping...life is simple then, and should be always.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I find when I think about why I have multiple guitars, it usually comes from listening to someone who doesn't play at all. They can never understand how wrong it feels to play sultans of swing on a Les Paul.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
2 of my 3 electrics are Telecasters so you think there would be tons of overlap there and I guess to a point there is. But as Telecasters go they are very different. One has custom shop twisted tele pickups and one has custom shop Nocaster pickups. They are night and day different as tele pickups would go. I'm in love with telecasters and wouldn't mind owning a couple more but they'd have to be different.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
And our mood.
Hey--if women can have multiple pairs of shoes and purses & all that to go with their mood, clothes, etc--why not multiple guitars?

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
My guitars tell me what to play and how to play. The more guitars i have, the more i play.
And the longer you can go before you HAVE to change strings...

A string breaks? They go dead?
Pick up a different guitar & keep playing...

Reactions: aC2rs and Budda

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I have a bunch of great acoustics : I bought some quite seriously dreaming they could help me sound as good as some late iconic players. I can now laugh about it !

I used to love the boominess of rosewood ones, but, maybe my ears are getting better, the more I can now recognize them, I am becoming tired of overtones, favoring the crispier sound of mahogany.
Some days, be it my ears, my mood, I am inclined to play a particular repertoire over another.
I play my Gibson parlors and my tricone for good ol blues...
I recently began to explore old celtic tunes in alternate tunings on my tricone, Larrivées and Taylors...

Some years ago, I bought a large musical director desk (four to five pages large) so that more than two pages musics sheets can be left wide opened... It resulted to be regularly covered with a bunch of music book I choose from as I sit with the guitar of the day.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts