The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24,713 Posts
They're okay. Personally, I prefer the OD-1, which was essentially what turned into an SD-1, when they added a tone control. The OD-1 was largely identical, but had a fixed treble rolloff.

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
I did multiple overdrive shootouts, and the SD-1 always came out #1 or #2 for tightening up and adding to the roar of my Dual Recto. Great great great with Marshalls.

·
Registered
11,727 Posts
a few years ago I picked up a used OD3, its better than the od-1, its a great drive, excellent for boosting a solo/lead part especially

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
a few years ago I picked up a used OD3, its better than the od-1, its a great drive, excellent for boosting a solo/lead part especially
I love my OD3. Its been my main drive pedal for 4 years now, but they are radically different than an OD/SD1.

My favorite thing to do with an OD3 is stack it with my Austin Gold. To my ears it's instant dimed Tweed Bassman tone.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sold my OD3 to a fellow member a month ago. Really liked the sound of it but wasn't the sound I was hearing in my head. Subtle differences I guess

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Naw, y'all so wrong. SD-2 (in lead mode) is where it is at. Never shoulda sold mine.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
There is an OD-3 on FB Marketplace here in London. $80

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
I've tried to like Boss drive pedals, and I just can't do it.

I have a Super Overdrive and a Blues Driver, and I break them out once in a while and try to use them....then I put them away.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I like my OD-3 for a smooth refined sort of sound. For some of the old rock I play it's just a little too polite though. Got it on Marketplace for $45, and the guy threw in a joint, so money well spent!

·
Registered
24,713 Posts
Looking at the schematics, the OS-2 is an interesting hybrid of an SD-1 and a Rat/SD-9-like circuit, that you can blend between. Bit of a sleeper, that one. The OD-3 is more in the vein of the BD-2, using a discrete-transistor op-amp for the first half of the circuit, and some op-amps for tone-shaping afterwards. The SD-2 is a different sort of beast and less of an extension of the SD-1 than the OS-2 is. It uses LEDs for clipping and neither of the two clipping stages is asymmetrical, like the SD-1, OD-1, and OS-2.

·
Registered
24,713 Posts
Always.

But next down the list is how easy it is to make it sound good. There are plenty of pedals that can be made to sound good for a magic moment, and then the sweet spot continues to evade the user. The Boss legend is that their pedals are designed so that if you set all the knobs to 12:00, it will sound good. Maybe not "best", but usable, for that category of effect. I don't know how true that is, but it's still a decent starting point in design, since the premise is that there will be some range above and below that setting that may be useful to the user, and an easy-to-identify baseline to return to.

Good design should not require needing to consult a manual to make a 3-knob pedal sound good. Boss has built the reputation and following they have because they do their best to stick to that principle. That's part of why Josh "JHS" Smith likes them so much.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Fine, forget I said anything about the SD-2; there is no SD-2 - it was a dreEaAmmmmm.... they'll stay cheaper that way.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Good design should not require needing to consult a manual to make a 3-knob pedal sound good. Boss has built the reputation and following they have because they do their best to stick to that principle. That's part of why Josh "JHS" Smith likes them so much.
But I've read of lots of people who have given up on Mesa amps or Timmy pedals within 5 minutes because 'the knobs set at noon' didn't sound perfect to them. RTFM may open up options for those people, but there are lots of suppliers to source 'sounds good at noon' equipment, I guess. Mesa et al ain't missing the business, from what I can tell.

Personally, the SD-1 is the only Boss gain/OD pedal I've ever liked out of their whole lineup. I don't mind a few of their mod pedals but Boss is not a 'go-to' company for my stomp needs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts