• I don't like the monkey handle

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to play one myself but have been intrigued by this model for some time. There have been several models over the years including 7 string models and some with wide/narrower necks. Is it the best in your opinion? Second best? Close?

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Steadly, in my honest opinion, although I haven’t played one, these are the first best and third best guitars to be ever made. second best goes to the walmart Hanna Montana series.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have gone through close to a thousand guitars, and, the best guitar ever made, is...........................

Cort Hiram Bullock. Its an inexpensive made in Korea guitar, but, if you wanted a Luthier to make something similar, it would cost 10x more.
Here are the specs:

Lightweight highly figured swamp ash body.
Awesome flamed and birdseye maple neck.
Spertzel locking tuners.
Dunlop recessed strap locks
Wilkinson roller nut and tremolo, the best trem system I have ever used.

Of course, all of the sheep who pay thousands of dollars for what are essentially bolt on neck Strat copies equal to a good mexi strat (Suhr, Fender Custom shop etc).... this guitar is a horrible POS.

But, there are way too many guys out there who judge a guitar entirely on the price tag.
To each his own, and I guess its nice to have money to burn.

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
Best for what?
Best for who?

Floating trems & locking nuts are not my cup of tea guitarwise--so this would not be a great choice for me--unless you gave me one & I could sell or trade it for something I like.

But if it floats your boat--hey cool...

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Registered
460 Posts
Of course, all of the sheep who pay thousands of dollars for what are essentially bolt on neck Strat copies equal to a good mexi strat (Suhr, Fender Custom shop etc).... this guitar is a horrible POS.

But, there are way too many guys out there who judge a guitar entirely on the price tag.
To each his own, and I guess its nice to have money to burn.
Ironic how you're doing the judging yourself. If it's "too each his own", why disparage others who think differently than you as "sheep"?

I'm gonna play what I want to play. I'll openly admit I like Gibson guitars (and even more specifically, I like the feel of their Custom Shop stuff). The guitar guys that I grew up listening to played Gibsons and that's what I like. Playing them makes me happy. How does it affect you what I like?

I couldn't care less what someone plays. Cheap, mid-range, expensive...I don't care as long as you're having fun.

If I go somewhere and a guy is playing a Fender Squier through an inexpensive Fender solid state amp....I couldn't care less. Let's crank it up and have some fun!

And if that same guy came up to me to discuss my playing or tone, I'd be fine with that.

But if he came up and started making sheep references in regards to the gear I was using....you can bet we'd soon be having a bit of an issue.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Steadly, I wouldn’t agree that it’s the best guitar ever made, but by no means are they slouches in the performance department.

I won’t say they’re the “best guitar ever” because no such thing can ever exist; I could make the argument that my $100 squier strat is the greatest guitar ever, but we all know that’s a pile of crap and that there are better guitars out there.

It could be the “best guitar” for you though, and at the end of the day, that is the most important part. I encourage you to seek a few JEMs out and give them a try; even if they’re not your thing, they’re built to some pretty exacting specs. I think you’ll like it a lot.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
Does a guitar meet the threshold requirements for build quality, tone, playability, and appearance, all with few qualifiers? This could apply to any style from the OP's example to my Gretsch, assuming that in the electric guitar sub-forum we're restricting the discussion to electrics. Is it fair to consider cost? Define best. Best for what? Define what.

Sometimes the best guitar is the one in your hands now, not necessarily the guitar of your dreams but the guitar that makes you dream.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steadly, I wouldn’t agree that it’s the best guitar ever made, but by no means are they slouches in the performance department.

I won’t say they’re the “best guitar ever” because no such thing can ever exist; I could make the argument that my $100 squier strat is the greatest guitar ever, but we all know that’s a pile of crap and that there are better guitars out there.

It could be the “best guitar” for you though, and at the end of the day, that is the most important part. I encourage you to seek a few JEMs out and give them a try; even if they’re not your thing, they’re built to some pretty exacting specs. I think you’ll like it a lot.

Cheers.
Yea Ron, I have to agree with you. When it comes to electric guitars, I think the best would be a custom one a person made to their exact specs. The new JEMS all have narrow (43mm) necks. Some of the older ones had a wider neck, so if I came across a good used one, I would like to give it a whirl and see how it fit me.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is that the best guitar ever made?

No.
Budda, you need to be a bit more definite in your responses. When you're wishy/washy as in the above post, we are not sure how you really feel.;)

Reactions: jdto and Dorian2

·
Registered
12,263 Posts
even though i'd probably put a tremol-no on it, i wouldn't mind owning one a while to see how i'd like it. they are cool guitars.

but i voted no because
i have this peeve about certain guitar myths. one of them is "the magic guitar". especially beginners, some players are always looking for that magic guitar that's going to make them play like a god. i don't know why i find it annoying but i do. it's not like it affects me, what they believe. think of foreigner's "jukebox hero" or guy clark's "the guitar". both cool songs, but the myth they're selling is sort of...vaguely believed by some people. i just feel like those people probably read the national enquirer and the weekly world news.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts