The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone has that band from their hometown that was amazing but for whatever reason it just never happened for them. I grew up with these guys in Muskoka and have seen them live many, many times. (I was their guitar tech). There were nights they could have been on the bill with anyone and would have held their own.

I give you Saphire Enemy by Speedbore released in 1999.

https://soundcloud.com/id%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fsoundcloud.com%252Fguncho%252Fsaphire-enemy-speedbore%252Fs-60AEH%3Bsecret_token%3Ds-60AEH%3Btrack_id%3D348916428

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
The best band that nobody on here except @Guncho has heard of (because he was house mates with the bass player): Anagram

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I was just a tyke but Detroit area rock (Amboy Dukes, MC5, Seger, Iggy Pop, among others ) was great in the late 60s. SRC (Scott Richard Case) was a fabulous band. If you ever have a chance, try to give a listen to their tunes especially Checkmate, Secret Destination, Angel Song. Milestones was one of their albums and was psychedelic era rock at its finest. This cover was the only video I could find of them in that era, but they are definitely worth a search if you like that era. I believe a motorcycle accident got in the way of their rise to stardom.

[video]

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Winnipeg band The Pumps. Morphed into Orphan with a guitar player change. Released a number of albums and had a few hits under both names.

Playing western Canadian bars live throughout the 80s, they were an island of originality in a sea of cover bands. They played four sets of original music with two covers: I Am The Walrus and Dancing Days. Didn't hurt that they had one of the best soundmen in the circuit at the time, Howard Klopak.

The bass player/singer/frontman, Chris Burke-Gaffney, is now an artist rep (agent?) in TO, I think. He represents another fairly unheard-of Canadian talent out of Saskatoon (working on Broadway, last I hear), Kyle Riabco.

Reactions: Intrepid

·
Registered
481 Posts
I was just a tyke but Detroit area rock (Amboy Dukes, MC5, Seger, Iggy Pop, among others ) was great in the late 60s.
I would have loved to been able to see the Amboy Dukes back then. I've heard many stories of what it was like but it would have been cool to actually have seen them.

As far as bands no one has heard of, my understanding is that most outside of Ontario aren't aware of David Wilcox. And that's a shame!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was just a tyke but Detroit area rock (Amboy Dukes, MC5, Seger, Iggy Pop, among others ) was great in the late 60s. SRC (Scott Richard Case) was a fabulous band. If you ever have a chance, try to give a listen to their tunes especially Checkmate, Secret Destination, Angel Song. Milestones was one of their albums and was psychedelic era rock at its finest. This cover was the only video I could find of them in that era, but they are definitely worth a search if you like that era. I believe a motorcycle accident got in the way of their rise to stardom.

[video]
I'm glad I heard that. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Winnipeg band The Pumps. Morphed into Orphan with a guitar player change. Released a number of albums and had a few hits under both names.

Playing western Canadian bars live throughout the 80s, they were an island of originality in a sea of cover bands. They played four sets of original music with two covers: I Am The Walrus and Dancing Days. Didn't hurt that they had one of the best soundmen in the circuit at the time, Howard Klopak.

The bass player/singer/frontman, Chris Burke-Gaffney, is now an artist rep (agent?) in TO, I think. He represents another fairly unheard-of Canadian talent out of Saskatoon (working on Broadway, last I hear), Kyle Riabco.
Wasn't Alex, who I believe was in Queen City Kids (another very good unknown Canadian hard rock band, originated out of Regina I believe), in Orphan? Never saw the Pumps but for sure I saw Orphan at some point around 1980. I remember a killer cover of I Will Follow.

·
Premium Member
11,530 Posts
Back in the 90's , I had a lot of fun at a divey place on Queen St with giant (fake) ants on the outside walls, seeing a band called The Garbagemen.

In the '80's, few local metal bands (and I'm including Killer Dwarfs and Anvil) could match a band called Sye. They always filled the Hideaway and the place would be rocking. God I loved that place...esp as an underage teenager that wanted to be part of the scene so badly ;)

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Been listening to a new find from Winnipeg, Yes The Mystic. Kind of experimental pop with some good hooks. I'm impressed with the singer who actually has some chops.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts