The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who will stand the test of time better?
Or are we kidding ourselves that either will be relevant as time marches on?

I'm inclined to say the Beatles, so much of their music sounds "public domain-y".but I'm not sure that songs that get used for baby bedtime cds is standing the test of time for a founding rock band.

I can't remember the last time I heard Elvis in a non-ironic, not cheesy vegas cliched context.

·
Premium Member
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Diablo DoublePost

·
Premium Member
12,198 Posts
Diablo DP? ;)

I think The Beatles.

Elvis brought 'race music' to a white American audience in the 50's, but The Beatles brought it to the whole world in the 60's. That's a simplified argument but I think it's the crux of it.

Also, IMO, The Beatles were more avante garde with recording and writing and advanced that side of RnR as well. But it could just be my age-related bias. The Beatles were 'it' when I started to get into music, Elvis was so 'last decade' by then.

And besides, it's fer shizzle anyways - the Biebs will eclipse them all. LOL Seriously though, is there any artist in the last 40 years that will have the staying power of some of those 50's 60's and 70's bands? None that I can think of.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Premium Member
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Diablo DP? ;)

I think The Beatles.

Elvis brought 'race music' to a white American audience in the 50's, but The Beatles brought it to the whole world in the 60's. That's a simplified argument but I think it's the crux of it.

Also, IMO, The Beatles were more avante garde with recording and writing and advanced that side of RnR as well. But it could just be my age-related bias. The Beatles were 'it' when I started to get into music, Elvis was so 'last decade' by then.

And besides, it's fer shizzle anyways - the Biebs will eclipse them all. LOL Seriously though, is there any artist in the last 40 years that will have the staying power of some of those 50's 60's and 70's bands? None that I can think of.
Re paragraph 2, that's a good point....the attention to production.
Re paragraph 3, it does seem as though every generation becomes less "loyal" to their artists than the previous one. This gen really just seems to care about the latest and greatest and what's current/trendy.
There have been lots of great artists in the past 20-30 years, but it's really about "what have you done for me lately?".

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Beatles are still massively popular today, from what I can glean. I bet their recordings' sales outstrip Elvis's by 10:1 right now. All guesswork, but mostly for the reasons already stated above, I'd guess the Fab Four. Add in the fact that people cover Beatles tunes, whereas Elvis wasn't a writer. I know most and it might even be all of his hits were covers/written for him.

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
if you want to see Elvis fans alive & well, just go Karaoke. That really brings them out of the woodwork. With the moves and everything. Always entertaining.

·
Premium Member
12,198 Posts
if you want to see Elvis fans alive & well, just go Karaoke. That really brings them out of the woodwork. With the moves and everything. Always entertaining.
Ewwwwww, no thanks. And not just because of the Elvis thing!

I'd sign up for a 'how to put bamboo under your own fingernails' course before I'd subject myself to that K word. Maybe it's the fact that when my buddies and I jam, it sounds infinitely better than any K-stuff (I don't even want to spell the word LOL) did. And we jam both Elvis and Beatles stuff, at about a 1:10 ratio.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Or Collingwood in July I believe. Couldn't give me tickets for that. Now if it were a Beatles weekend on the other hand!

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Ewwwwww, no thanks. And not just because of the Elvis thing!

I'd sign up for a 'how to put bamboo under your own fingernails' course before I'd subject myself to that K word. Maybe it's the fact that when my buddies and I jam, it sounds infinitely better than any K-stuff (I don't even want to spell the word LOL) did. And we jam both Elvis and Beatles stuff, at about a 1:10 ratio.
I hear ya. I lost two good jamming buddies to karaoke. They both have huge systems now, and do Karaoke 24/7. They don't even want to play guitar these days.....and they wonder why I don't come over anymore (or show up at their K-gigs).

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Elvis has been around for longer than the beatles. Doesn't really matter since they are both used as elevator and commercial sound tracks now.

·
Registered
24,672 Posts
The Beatles are more likely to stand the test of time, simply because they introduced more to the historical progression of popular music than Elvis did. Not to undervalue Elvis as a performer and singer (and even actor), but he contributed little to songwriting, production, instrumental style, song-sequence planning, etc. That is, the Beatles went well beyond simply being a singing stage presence. That is what will hike them up a few notches above Elvis.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
who cares really...I'll be dead & gone and the human race will have ( hopefully ) moved on

Beatles vs Stones??
Beatles vs Elvis??
who is the best guitarist/keyboard/drummer/singer/dishwasher of all time??

I have better things to spend brain energy on

bah humbug :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts