The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Cover Band I've Been playing in for the last 3 years is dead.

We filled our last commitments, then I told the drummer/Bass player that I was no longer willing to continue with the current bass player.

I like the Drummer, I'm standing at his wedding with him in 2 months.

I'm moving forward on finding the correct people for a ZZ Top Tribute act.

I've always wanted to do a Tribute act to ZZ Top, and might as well get to it now.
I'm advertising for a Bass Player and Drummer, and slowly auditioning/looking at guys youtube videos and watching at jam sessions.

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
You have to do what you have to do!

When the bullshit becomes too much, either you leave or they do! I have been down this road a few times already. It's not fun.

Wishing you the best of luck with your new ZZ Top tribute band.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
be choosy. dont be in a hurry. auditioning gets old real fast. you probably already know this. but man, the right line up makes the other stuff worth suffering, imo
good luck. here is someone ou may want to try out

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
There comes a time when bands get disbanded, I feel, for me, it's a time for change. A time for something better. I have formed 3 bands in the last 12 years. I have no regrets disbanding them but I did learn a lot from the experience. And also feel I've gotten better as a guitar player, a musician and a songwriter because of it. First one, a rock cover band, was a study in all the work that's needed to run a band. Contacts, schedules, personalities. logistics, etc... , the second one, a 7-piece jazz band was more about songwriting and playing with musicians who were far much better than me. The third one is a culmination of all the work and things that I learned. We played 90% original musi. We, my singer and I, wrote 20+ songs in 3 years of playing together. We recorded a CD. Played at the largest musical festival in the city. Had a regular spot at the premier blues bar in Ottawa.

But all of them had a beginning and an end.

So here I am now almost 2 years since the last one. But I'm almost back there again. This weekend I'm going to be playing with what I think will be my next band. I've got a singer and drummer coming. If everyone comes prepared, it should be fun. BTW, all those bands had different personnel. They tell me I am hard to get along with. LOL.

Best of luck with the ZZ Top tribute!

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
You know sometimes when people auditioned I thought they would be the perfect compliment to the band but as time progressed they showed their true colours. I found that out the hard way! I am more aware of the tell tale signs that tell me this person just won't work out. I look for personalities now before talent.

I had a singer lined up to audition. He dazzled me with his smooth talk and professed expertise! He didn't show up the first time. He had a good excuse. His basement was flooded from those awful rainstorms in May! I kept in touch though and he swore up and down he would show up the second time! I even texted him the day before just to remind him. He never texted back or showed up. I just X'd him off my list and I just moved forward!

I always give people a second chance to prove themselves! After that, they're out of here! I don't have the time nor the patience to put up with incompetent people.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm tired of the generic Cover band format.

For some reason it never progresses to the level I want. THere's always lots of blame and finger pointing and internal strife, It's happened in every band I've ever been in.

From what I've read it happens in every band, from the Stones to Fleetwood to led Zep, every band has arguments internally. but they find a way to make things work.

I haven't found that yet. Plus I've never done a tribute act before, and really want to put one together. So I'm a big fan of trio's and a big fan of ZZ top.
Since I don't feel like doing a RUSH or TRIUMPH tribute..... ZZ Top it is.

Plus TOny from Wild T still does a MEan Jimi Hendrix Tribute show as well.

·
Registered
9,286 Posts

For some reason it never progresses to the level I want. THere's always lots of blame and finger pointing and internal strife, It's happened in every band I've ever been in.
I know exactly what you're saying. There was finger pointing but those people deserved it.

I had one female singer last year that I wanted to literally kill. She was such a dramatic diva. When she didn't get her way with the way some things were practiced, she would stop singing and just walk out in the hallway and sulk. She thought that everyone in the band was out to get her! I just couldn't take her shit anymore and thank god she quit. Because she figured I was against her as well she decided to send me very nasty and disturbing texts. I warned her not to send me any more vile texts. I was gob smacked that it came to that!

One of the other singers that had been with us for a while decided he had his own agenda about showing up for rehearsals. He didn't show for six months! I was so stupid and blind. I should of seen this coming. I let our supposed friendship get in the way! I gave him a way too much rope but finally in the end he hung himself.

Right now I think I finally have the perfect band, finally after almost 2 years of pure unadulterated bullshit. Everyone is very mature, they show up on time and are ready to play. It's finally a lot of fun instead of major headaches in the making.

·
Premium Member
11,616 Posts
@Lola , that prima donna sounds a bit like some of the people I dealt with in the 80's. You know, the decade when coke became the cool thing to do......

Not accusin', just sayin'.

From what I've read it happens in every band, from the Stones to Fleetwood to led Zep, every band has arguments internally. but they find a way to make things work.

I haven't found that yet. Plus I've never done a tribute act before, and really want to put one together. So I'm a big fan of trio's and a big fan of ZZ top.
Since I don't feel like doing a RUSH or TRIUMPH tribute..... ZZ Top it is.

Plus TOny from Wild T still does a MEan Jimi Hendrix Tribute show as well.
I agree, every band has a beginning and an end. I also think my old mentor's saying: "The degree of difficulty of organizing a group of people is proportional to the square of the number of people involved", definitely holds true with bands. I really wonder how bands full of artistic, creative people (band like Yes or Eagles) stayed together as long as they did.

So the good news is a 3 piece tribute band might be just the ticket. A buddy did that - he actually did two tributes with the same line-up, ZZ Top and SRV. Sometimes, he would have 'SRV' open for 'ZZ Top' to fill out the night and give the people a bit of variety.

I killed my rockabilly thing the end of last year - one member had lost commitment and apparently forgot how to text. No biggie, I moved on - back into a classic rock cover band. I really enjoy being in someone else's band right now, playing music instead of politics. But people don't ask anymore if everything we played (but two songs) were originals - that was always fun with r'billy.

Reactions: Lola

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
@Lola , that prima donna sounds a bit like some of the people I dealt with in the 80's. You know, the decade when coke became the cool thing to do......

Not accusin', just sayin'.

I agree, every band has a beginning and an end. I also think my old mentor's saying: "The degree of difficulty of organizing a group of people is proportional to the square of the number of people involved", definitely holds true with bands. I really wonder how bands full of artistic, creative people (band like Yes or Eagles) stayed together as long as they did.

So the good news is a 3 piece tribute band might be just the ticket. A buddy did that - he actually did two tributes with the same line-up, ZZ Top and SRV. Sometimes, he would have 'SRV' open for 'ZZ Top' to fill out the night and give the people a bit of variety.

I killed my rockabilly thing the end of last year - one member had lost commitment and apparently forgot how to text. No biggie, I moved on - back into a classic rock cover band. I really enjoy being in someone else's band right now, playing music instead of politics. But people don't ask anymore if everything we played (but two songs) were originals - that was always fun with r'billy.
I once opened for a group who's shtick was doing each show as a tribute to someone different. One show was a tribute to Bob Dylan and The Band, the next was the British Invasion, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,616 Posts
I once opened for a group who's shtick was doing each show as a tribute to someone different. One show was a tribute to Bob Dylan and The Band, the next was the British Invasion, etc.
A decade ago, I started working with some guys to do a Bob Seger tribute act. I realize two things real quick: 1) the singer was a prima-donna and class A pr1ck, and 2) I don't like Bob Seger enough to learn 20 or 30 of his songs accurately. Plus, Old Time Rock n Roll is one of the songs on my 'Veto 3' list, so there's that.

A few years after that, I started up with a Ton Petty tribute act. Same 1) problem as with the Seger thing, but I did like most of TP's material. Still, couldn't make it work for me. I was out.

Something about singers thinking they are the real thing - or at least wanted to be treated like the real thing. "Dude, go buy a step ladder and get over yourself."

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
A decade ago, I started working with some guys to do a Bob Seger tribute act. I realize two things real quick: 1) the singer was a prima-donna and class A pr1ck, and 2) I don't like Bob Seger enough to learn 20 or 30 of his songs accurately. Plus, Old Time Rock n Roll is one of the songs on my 'Veto 3' list, so there's that.

A few years after that, I started up with a Ton Petty tribute act. Same 1) problem as with the Seger thing, but I did like most of TP's material. Still, couldn't make it work for me. I was out.

Something about singers thinking they are the real thing - or at least wanted to be treated like the real thing. "Dude, go buy a step ladder and get over yourself."
Why is it the singers with the over inflated egos?

When this female singer would go sulk in the hallways it made everyone so uneasy. She would come back to the session but with a very bad attitude and throw things around. She would pick up the music stand and tamp it really hard on the floor so we would all notice how upset she was with us.

The rest of the band texted me saying that they couldn't and wouldn't put up with her drama bullshit. She was so sweet and willing to do whatever it took when she first came into the fold and then BAM she turned into such a bitchy diva.

I will never put up with anyone's shit ever again. It's such a time waster and just drags everyone down.

Guess who texted me? The other male singer that never showed up for 6 months. He wants to come and check out the band again. Like he thinks he's going to worm his way back in the band. Not happening. I can't believe the nerve of some people. He never once apologized but came up with excuses as to why he couldn't attend practice for 6 months in a row. Take a long walk off a short pier buddy.

·
Premium Member
8,542 Posts
Our drummer had to be right about everything, and thought it was OK because he was super polite and articulate. He also couldn't take direction - at rehearsal we asked him to slow down slightly, he threw down his sticks and started a long rant about how much he practiced and how it was the speed of the record.

Even though it set us back months, we cut the cord. He begged us to get back in - we were really turning into a tight rock machine - but none of us wanted to put up with his BS. His long text sounded exactly like an abusive spouse promising to never do it again, baby.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I've thought a lot about bands that have stuck together through all sorts of trial and tribulations.

I think a big part of longevity is that many long standing bands, most of the band members have known one another since a fairly young age, may have grown up together or at least met one another in situations where they got to know each other before music was the driving force.
I see the problems in trying to establish a band at the stage most people are at in their lives on this forum and we are all in a time crunch trying to get things moving as quickly as possible.
I believe compatible personalities are most important before musicianship. Have a look at most successful workplaces, generally they are made up of people who get along with one another.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Our drummer had to be right about everything, and thought it was OK because he was super polite and articulate. He also couldn't take direction - at rehearsal we asked him to slow down slightly, he threw down his sticks and started a long rant about how much he practiced and how it was the speed of the record.

Even though it set us back months, we cut the cord. He begged us to get back in - we were really turning into a tight rock machine - but none of us wanted to put up with his BS. His long text sounded exactly like an abusive spouse promising to never do it again, baby.

That sounds like our Former/Current Bass player.
I hear through the grapevine that his antics have not changed with his new project either. Does not learn songs in time for rehearsal/Makes the same mistakes in the same places in the song.

THen gets ubber defensive when mistakes are pointed.

I can hear my mistakes pretty clearly when reviewing the video, Which makes me try to be more careful the next time

1 - 20 of 35 Posts