The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey kids..

So have been playing for a month now and am getting the hang of the bass but need a bit of help.

"B" The 5th string I am finding is just not in much music out there and I feel I am missing something.
Is the idea in some songs to drop all the notes down one string?
Any tips would be helpfull.

"Q" Getting the hang of finger style but.....
Do you use the tip of your finger or the soft fleshy part?
Do you use one finger per string as in classical guitar?
Do you use your index as your main every string finger if the notes are singles?
Do you need to keep you nails super short or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance..By the way I found my 4 string, Fender Jazz 24 in Quilt Maple with active PU'S

Bev

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I like having the B string. I'd much rather fret an E than play the open string. Having a 5 or 6 string allows you to grab more notes in the same hand postions as well, saving you from climbing all over the fretboard so much.

There is a quite a bit of music out there in drop d. I hate downtuning the e string to do these so having the B is nice. Even if songs are not dropped down, I like hopping down to D or C octaves once in awhile on certain songs.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
As for the hands... I use the near the tip of my fingers. I alternate between index and middle, walking them if you will. Sometimes both fingers together.
Some people use 1,2 even 3 fingers to play. Whatever works for you and feels confortable is what is right.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
yeah a fretted E sounds so much better than an open E, Because the string is thicker, you get a deeper, fatter sound.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I guess I should learn where all the notes are on the neck. I think the low E is at the 5th fret on the B string right?

I never really know what notes I am playing because I just use tab and never had a lesson of any kind.

Bev

·
Registered
273 Posts
Bevo said:
I never really know what notes I am playing because I just use tab and never had a lesson of any kind.

Bev
I think that's the problem right there. Don't underestimate the importance of at least a few lessons with a bassist (and not just a guitarist that 'teaches bass'). An experienced bassist will show you proper technique and show you how to avoid repetitive stress injuries to which bassists are prone.

As for 5 strings, I don't think they're essentially better than 4-strings. I have a boo-teek 5 and I generally prefer my Japanese Jazz bass for most of the stuff I play since I don't generally play below low E. Unlike the others here I don't necessarily prefer the 5th fret of the 5th string over the open 4th string, but we're all different here - vive la difference!:rockon2:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Bevo said:
Hey kids..

"Q" Getting the hang of finger style but.....
Do you use the tip of your finger or the soft fleshy part?
Do you use one finger per string as in classical guitar?
Do you use your index as your main every string finger if the notes are singles?
Do you need to keep you nails super short or am I missing something?

I agree with those who said a fretted E sounds better than an open one, it sounds a little fatter. But thats just a matter of personal taste. That being said i think im going to remove my B string and restring it EADGC

As for the rest of the questions:

1. I use my finger more towards the tip, i find it gives more flexibility.

2. I typically use my index, middle and ring fingers to play, but do what feels comfortable to you.

3. I have no technique and use whatever finger happens to hit the string :tongue:

4. The reason i like the bass so much is beacause it helps in my personal hygeine. I find that i need to keep my finger nails clipped short or i'll get a "clickity click" sound when i play.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good tips guys!!

If you know of a good Bass teacher in the North T.O. area please let me know, I think its time.
Think I will also get some info and learn the fret board to find out what I am doing.

The Bass is taking me much further than the guitar and I need to keep learning.

Bev

1 - 8 of 8 Posts