The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
I thought the seeds of the apocalypse were sown on November 8, 2016? And besides, Bill Gates likely has shit loads of money and likely inside information than the average American Joe or Dork or Yahoo

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
I doubt it. He has a massive charitable organization and likely spends more on one of his medical charities in five minutes than the Trumpkin has donated in his entire life. If this pandemic breaks out on the Mexican side of the US/Mexican border, it wouldn't surprise me if President Galactic Sized Ego may have been behind it

L

·
0 Posts
it wouldn't surprise me if President Galactic Sized Ego may have been behind it
Um .. yeah ..
He has the competence to conspire to pull off something like this?
And with the way the civil service feels about him and there's no leaks to the press?

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't even bother reading the article. I think it's laughable that Bill Gates would suggest such a thing.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Um .. yeah ..
He has the competence to conspire to pull off something like this?
And with the way the civil service feels about him and there's no leaks to the press?
Yeah, you do have the point there,... especially about the competence thing.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I didn't even bother reading the article. I think it's laughable that Bill Gates would suggest such a thing.
Why? Bill Gates is both smarter and richer than our combined membership and has been completely immersed in world medical issues for a couple of decades. He also has no agenda any more — unbound riches can do that to non-sociopaths. The fact that Bill Gates states it, in fact, gives it way more credibility than almost anyone else on the planet.

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
cant read the article because as blocker.
however, the idea of a disease appearing that kills off a huge amount of people is possible. if something like that did happen, it could set back mankind for hundreds or even thousands of years.
30 million in 6 months doesn't mean it stops at 30 million. kill enough people all at once, technology and science will disappear/regress, society will collapse. when that happens, it's a global reset. you lose things like easy access to electricity and clean water. that kills off most of the advanced medicine, people continue to die, but from lesser, controllable ills. in just a few generations, everyone will forget how it used to be, and it's the bronze age revisited.

·
Premium Member
17,352 Posts
Doesnt malaria do this already?

;)

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Well, it sounded more like part of the preamble to his point about pandemic preparedness. I agree that generally mankind isn't ready for obvious dangers.

BG is an interesting dude, though. Not really a visionary, but pretty well informed with considered opinions. Too bad he isn't a member here.

·
Premium Member
25,114 Posts
1) Gates' professional expertise is obviously in comp sci and business development, but his life experience over the last few decades, as Lexx pointed out, is speaking with, and asking questions of, folks who specialize in public health at the global and national level. Any hiring firm would equate that to having a graduate degree in public health and epidemiology. Industrial psychologists will tell you that the reason why pre-employment cognitive ability tests are so good at predicting job performance is because they predict capacity tolearn on the job. I imagine Gates and his wife Melinda have learned more about public health and epidemiology than all of us here put together.

2) Pandemics have a way of spreading well beyond the places where they have their greatest concentration. SARS may have had the majority of fatalities in China, but had substantial implications for North America and Europe, simply because people travel all over the world. Unlike conventional war, where conflict is largely localized to where the weapons are, it only takes one person on a flight or boat to bring a pandemic to a region that was uninvolved with the emergence of the pandemic.

3) Pandemics also create refugee problems as people seek to leave areas where the death toll may have soared, and the food or water supply may have become compromised. That not only creates administrative and security costs for the countries where they flee to, but places pressure on the food supply and local/regional health-care system as resources are co-opted to addressing emergencies.

4) The daughter of a friend of ours is a pediatrician at McMaster Hospital, previously working at Children's Hospital in Toronto. She was encouraged, along with her colleagues, to take an additional degree to complement her medical training, so she went for a Masters in Disaster Preparedness through some pan-university arrangement in Europe, and attends her convocation in Glasgow this September. Doctors are being encouraged to plan around "world-calls" in place of house-calls these days; a by-product of human migration and mobility.

5) Pathogens evolve quickly, simply because they have short life-cycles. It can take hundreds of years for a trait to evolve in bigger mammals, but only a few months for an evolved change in a bacterium or virus. That's why we need new vaccines developed for influenza every year, and why the vaccine developed may not perfectly match whatever the state/variant of the virus is by the time "flu season" hits.

6) The regions where pandemics start generally have inadequate health-care (we too often poach their best providers), higher rates of poverty, local conflict, corrupt governments, and sometimes cultural beliefs that impede adequate health-protection. All of this is a recipe for pandemic fires to spread quickly. And even when the response can extinguish the pandemic quickly enough, the chaos it leaves in its wake prolongs the economic-administrative-social disarray that formed the seedbed for the pandemic in the first place. Orphans don't wash their hands enough when there are no parents around to tell them to, and the hasty exit of health-care professionals to "safer" places in the world means there are shakier efforts in place to prevent the next one. Ask yourself, if you had helped to successfully stave off an ebola outbreak somewhere, would you be more motivated to stick around and make absolutely sure the next one wouldn't occur, or would you take your family to a place where you wouldn't have to fight that fight and put them at risk?

7) Our own former Office of the Solicitor General became Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, shortened to Public Safety Canada during the Martin government, absorbing the Emergency Preparedness directorate from DND. A former co-worker works there and is regularly sent to pandemic-related conferences, simply because Canada needs to be as well-informed about those as they are about wildfires, floods, tsunamis, earthquakes, tornadoes, power-grid collapses, et al.

8) An "apocalypse"? Maybe, maybe not. But I can see it displacing Trump-news on CNN.....and THAT'S saying something.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts