The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
I have the Strymon OB1
Once upon a time I probably would have bought the OB1. But the boost can’t be activated if the compressor is off, which seemed kind of dumb to me. If they were independent, I would probably have it on my board to this day.

i should try it side by side with some guitar specific pedal compressors to see where the pros and cons lie in that department
A great review of various compressors can be found at ovinlab.com

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Both the upside and the downside of the old rack compressor which ends up sitting on the floor behind the amp is that it helps the overall sound for the whole set it's not something that gets kicked on or off in the middle of the action. My home territory is folky acoustic skydiggers/cowboyjunkies type stuff which means i play both too hard and too soft for the general good especially when i switch over to an electric w/ p90s. I don't always use the compressor but I should. I don't think I've ever had it on and wished it wasn't there but i have left it off and wished for it back in the mix. Even if the pedal wasn't quite as good sounding it would be more likely to get used if it's sitting there in the chain on the board anyway.

j

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Once upon a time I probably would have bought the OB1. But the boost can’t be activated if the compressor is off, which seemed kind of dumb to me. If they were independent, I would probably have it on my board to this day.
I know what you mean and I thought the same. I guess their reasoning is that its supposed to be a set and forget device -- either always on, or for assigned to a single specific task. rather than two separate effects in one case. I use it as a treble boost to bring a guitar forward in the mix or add liveliness if treble is rolled off somewhere for some reason. Still, two-in-one would have been another great option at that price.

Also it is great for adding a bit of meat to those two and four positions on a five-way.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts