The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks,

Figured I'd introduce myself, doubtful I'll add much to the discussions though.

I've put about 25 years of pathetic attempts into learning the guitar... Bought new equipment here and there over the years... but finally (about 3 months ago) I started to put some real effort into improving. It's going well, I hate to admit but all the time I spent noodling around on the half dozen riffs I knew has made it pretty comfortable to learn new stuff (comfortable... not easy).

I currently own (all acquired over the past 20+ years, for no particular reason other than "why not"):
3 accoustics (an old suzuki that used to be my wife's grandmothers, a "Denver" I got for 10 bucks at a gargage sale, and an Alvarez that I love)
3 electric (Peavy JF-1 in sunburst, Peavey Raptor II T-Style in sunburst, and a Fender Mexican Standard Strat in red)
2 amps (Fender Frontman 15 garage sale $20 grab, and my new Boss Katana 50 that I also love)

What else.... I was given a Tone Central Sweet Cream pedal, which is pretty awesome...

Love the Blues... more than anything else.... but I really can't think of a style of music with REAL guitars that I dislike.

And that will probably be the most typing you see from me! :)

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I had the same story, muddled around for about the same time and finally got serious about it around 10 years ago. I'm finally at a place where I can be somewhat (but never completely) satisfied with my playing. Dig in and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I'm in the same boat...I tried to teach myself several times over 15 years or so and finally decided to get more serious about things when my kids showed an interest in music (not guitar...yet). I've been taking lessons over the past year and have definitely improved.

Good luck on your journey to guitar greatness!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Welcome ! You know what ? Newbie sometimes raise good questions generating interesting answers.

My story is quite yours and many others...
I fetched a pretty nice bunch of fake books over the years, playing chords.
So I learned slowly new songs every now and then while working and having kids at home.
Went more seriously at it while retiring going toward fingerstyle to play instrumental versions (I do not sing).
The important thing is having a nice hobby to enjoy life. ;-)

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Welcome,
You will be hard pressed to find a more complete resource for everything guitar. The folks here are incredibly helpful, knowledgeable, and down right interesting. But, be warned...... you will learn about gear that you will desperately want once you realize it's awesomeness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome folks... I may indeed have a little input to offer when it comes to gear... I have spent countless hours researching different pedals, amps, guitars, etc.... even as far as comparisons of different woods for tone (spoiler... it makes VERY little difference in electric guitars compared to other factors)... I'm a little OCD when it comes to researching things.

I'm mostly happy that I'm past the sore finger tip stage... and that my ear is developing so that I can actually hear tone differences now. Onward and Upwards!

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'm mostly happy that I'm past the sore finger tip stage... and that my ear is developing so that I can actually hear tone differences now.
Both of these are excellent signs of positive progress.

Keep us posted...literally...LOL

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Hi Jugger ,i`m new here too .I think that one very important thing for me is to mentally note personal improvement , you can do things you once thought were not possible . It`s such a thrill to surprise your self well improving . It`s the pay day of playing guitar . (for me)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Playing guitar is always about improving what you know. I have been playing for about 17 years, and I still am not happy with my level of playing.....but that just means I'm very critical of myself. Keep at it and practice every day and you will see huge improvements :)

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Welcome. I too have Katana 100w 1x12 and love it. I just purchased it recently with expert guidance from our beloved forum member, Adcandour. He’s a great guy! Lots of good ppl here.

Have fun here!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts