The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I went offline for six months and built a cabin on a lake about twenty minutes outside of my old hometown in Northwestern Ontario. Lots of musicians from my highschool days still living there. I am very happy about it all. Here's photos. Enjoy. A couple of acres of virgin land ("...where the hand of man has never set foot" -- James Joyce)

Since these photos: roof has shingles, soffit and fascia complete, tarpaper on walls, all windows and doors hung, insulation & vapour barrier inside. Next year: siding, drywall, flooring, landscaping, re-build an old cookstove and attach to chimney.

IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG
IMG_1785.JPG
IMG_1782.JPG
IMG_1771.JPG

·
Premium Member
16,829 Posts
Very nice. My folks have always wanted to have a cottage close to home, and they're part way there.

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Beautiful!

Congratulations on your progress with fulfilling a dream.

built a cabin on a lake about twenty minutes outside of my old hometown in Northwestern Ontario.
Reminded me of Neil Young's song...

There is a town in North Ontario
Dream comfort memory to spare
And in my mind I still need a place to go
All my changes were there

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beautiful!

Congratulations on your progress with fulfilling a dream.

Reminded me of Neil Young's song...

There is a town in North Ontario
Dream comfort memory to spare
And in my mind I still need a place to go
All my changes were there
As I have often boasted, Neil Young and the Squires played at my first high school dance. I like to think that the song is about Atikokan. They hauled their gear in the hearse that was made famous in the song Long May You Run.

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
Really awesome! What dreams you will have there!

I'm jealous. Though I share a cottage with my siblings that we inherited from our parents, it's not remote enough for my liking, and it's a money pit. Yours looks more like what I'd like.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Looks like it may be one of the last few quiet places on Earth, and that is a good thing. You will be able to train the wildlife to like your music. ;)

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Gorgeous spot, nice work! What are they fishing for at this lake?

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Very nice. The blackflies will be even happier than you are!

Bit of a hike from SK... guess you're going to spend weeks/months there at a time? That'll bring you peace. Congrats.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gorgeous spot, nice work! What are they fishing for at this lake?
Its famous for largemouth bass, JB. Also northern pike and yellow perch. Lots of walleye and lake trout in lakes close by.

And yes, boyscout, long summertime stays are in the plan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts