The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a letter from some organization named Collectiva. Huh? That's weird. Why me? Why them?

Form letter inside says that UPS settled a class action suit, and that my name had appeared as having used UPS during the identified period. A cheque was attached in the amount of $21.82. I gather the settlement was some rounder figure, and they simply divided that up by the number of names on the list.

It's not Ed McMahon and Publishers' Clearing House, but I'm fine with that.

Ever wonder how many class-action suits you may be only very tangentially connected with? So tangentially that you didn't even realize it pertained to you?

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
many years ago I received a$20 cheque having to do with computer RAM. Although I did put my name on that list. It took about 5 years after I put my name on the list before they sent me a cheque.

·
Premium Member
17,033 Posts
Got a letter from some organization named Collectiva. Huh? That's weird. Why me? Why them?

Form letter inside says that UPS settled a class action suit, and that my name had appeared as having used UPS during the identified period. A cheque was attached in the amount of $21.82. I gather the settlement was some rounder figure, and they simply divided that up by the number of names on the list.

It's not Ed McMahon and Publishers' Clearing House, but I'm fine with that.

Ever wonder how many class-action suits you may be only very tangentially connected with? So tangentially that you didn't even realize it pertained to you?
Coincidentally, I just received notice of a class action suit involving the Samsung washing machine we bought about five or six years ago.

I haven’t had the slightest bit of trouble with it.

Something about the top coming detached.

They’ve promised me a Chequers for around $35.

It’s a bottle of wine and lunch.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Class actions are great bcs the firm makes a shit ton but members of the class usually don’t get much more out of it than a coupon for a free ice-cream cone.

·
Premium Member
25,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
many years ago I received a$20 cheque having to do with computer RAM. Although I did put my name on that list. It took about 5 years after I put my name on the list before they sent me a cheque.
The note accompanying the cheque indicated it was for Ontario residents who had something shipped internationally via UPS between 2005 and 2011 and paid some sort of fee. I honestly have no recollection of doing so, but it was at least 8 years back, and maybe as long ago as 2005, so maybe I did. If they say my name was on the list, I'll trust their judgment.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Read the fine print. Years ago we got a rebate cheque from a natural gas reseller. In the fine print was a contract that meant signing/cashing the cheque committed us to a 10 year contract at inflated prices.

This may be on the up and up, but read ALL the fine print.

Peace,

Paul

·
Premium Member
25,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fine print read. Check. The only restriction/limit is that the cheques will not be reissued and have to be cashed within 6 months.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Years ago I had signed on fo the Sketchers class action. I remember paying $150 for the shoes however I no longer had the invoice. Sometime later I got a cheque for $200.

·
Premium Member
17,352 Posts
Years ago I had signed on fo the Sketchers class action. I remember paying $150 for the shoes however I no longer had the invoice. Sometime later I got a cheque for $200.
I didnt know they had one. What was the suit?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Mine came today...I might frame it as a memory of my eBay years...nah Swiss Chalet.

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
We got money back from Nissan when we discovered that the gas tank in our AWD Juke was smaller than advertised (about 2 gal less than the FWD) resulting in more trips to the gas station than I had estimated. That, in combination with a loophole which allows Cdn EPA figures to be grossly misstated (always use the U.S. EPA number and calculate) really inflated the potential range of the vehicle. It was not a class action suit but I was a member of the Juke Forum and a bunch of us went after Nissan at the same time. We got a prepaid Visa for $600.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
I got the initial letter from the agency informing me about the case, but no subsequent cheque. Meh.
Pony Express takes longer to get to Sudbury these days.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts