The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

· Premium Member
20,999 Posts
Shredding means playing lead lines at a high BPM (beats per minute) aka speed.

"boosting" - putting an overdrive pedal, sometimes a distortion pedal in front of the gain channel of an amplifier to make the low end more percussive, add compression, and focus the mid-range. It is more accurately a filtering process, but we call it boosting anyway. There are is also clean boosting, which is keeping the exact same tone but making it louder.

There's a great description of various effects, let me see if I can find the link:http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/fxguide.html

· Registered
721 Posts
Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cork sniffer

cork sniffer

A derogatory term used to describe a person that tends to overanalyze physical properties that may not even be relevant.

These people seem to split hairs on details and are usually just perceived as windbags who just like to hear themselves speak.

The implied insult of the word, is that the corksniffer, is a lab worker that microanalyzes everything to the extreme, but fails to see the big picture.

The term probably originated in the wine industry or the wine conneisour pastime to describe people that innaccurately believe they can tell the quality of a wine by sniffing the cork.

This term is very commonly used in the discussion pages of popular online forums dealing with guitars, in which the cork sniffers are the ones that argue and debate over the subtleties of various factors that contribute to tone, such as wood types used, guitar pickup types, body shapes, finishing methods, manufacturing proccess etc.
The term is generally used to imply that these very people don't really have any experience with the actual playing of the instruments, but they are simply analyzing or evaluating tone based on theory or science, instead of just listening.

The corksniffers completely miss the point.
There are local variants to this definition. Several can be found in this discussion: Cork Sniffer

YMMV (see next definition)

· Registered
721 Posts
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Literally, "Your Mileage May Vary," coming from the small print in (American?) automobile commercials in the 70's and 80's. It has come to mean an acknowledgement that the opinion of the poster may not be shared by everyone.
I thought Weezer's later albums were better than their earlier works, but YMMV.

Source: The Urban Dictionary

· Registered
721 Posts
Hi lchender,

IMHO = in my humble opinion (not a music term but people often use the abbreviation in posts to qualify that what they have just stated is their own opinion)
I don't believe that I've ever read IMHO in post and sensed genuine humility. Would that be Morissirony ?

I've heard it defined IMHO = in my honest opinion... although you might be tempted to question the sincerity of someone who has to make the distinction that in this particular case s/he is being honest.

· Registered
4,898 Posts
Just smth that I'm not sure about... when people say that a cab or a speaker has a lot of "bottom end" or smth similar, do they mean it has a lot of bass/low frequency sound to it, or...?
Yes...you are correct.... it means that it has has good low frequency response.

Dave

Oh. I always thought it was this:

· Registered
946 Posts
I have went down to the local used bookstore, and I have recovered a copy of the necronomicon for the sole purpose of reviving this thread :devilish:
Tone Suck: when the pedal order, or sheer amount of pedals (for numerous reasons) results in a noticeable "canning" of the line-in signal from your guitar to your amplifier.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts