The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I was a kid, tennis was one of my favourite sports....way more than golf, for example.
Anybody play here?
I got back into it a little this summer when I introduced my daughter to it and she seems to like it (she leans towards individual sports more than team sports).
Wondering if I should get a new racquet? The one I have is old...circa 1990, Head, some sort of composite material...but needs re-gripping. Wondering if it makes sense to put any money at all into it. Have they improved enough over the years to tangibly benefit a low level recreational old guy?

Reactions: davetcan

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
I'd say that tennis is my primary sport of choice. I played competitively in my teens and eventually stopped in my University years, as I got more involved with the bands that I was in. About 10 years ago, I got back into it, and now try and hit at least once a week. The game has changed drastically since the 90's, so has the gear, and how you use it. The one thing I noticed when I got back into playing was player grips. No longer were guys using Eastern grips, but pretty extreme Western grips for added topspin. In addition to that, racquet technology has changed to accommodate such playing. I do think the most important aspect of tennis tech at the moment is string tension. I recently bought a stringer, and have been experimenting with tensions as low as 35lbs (some guys on the pro tour are going as low as the 20's) - in stark contrast to my usual 60lbs back in the 90's. You can find some pretty decent used racquets out there in the used market. I would start there, and spend your money on experimenting with strings and tension. Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Used to play a bit in the 80's. Never got very good at it, but always liked it. I just realized we have courts a few blocks from our house at our community association hall (moved recently). I think it's free to join and the courts always seem empty, so we will probably get back into it in the spring. Need the exercise. I had a fancy high end Prince racquet back then but it was lost in the flood in 2013. Just going to start with cheap racquets this time. Used might be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I got back into tennis for a bit a few years ago, but then my tennis buddy's heart let him down quite unexpectedly and I haven't played since.

I got my racquet from a clearance table at Canadian Tire - I think it was $20, down from a hundred or so. Pretty much any composite racquet from a name brand is going to be decent enough for the average hack - and almost certainly better than anything built in 1990.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
Been playing since my early teens, maybe a bit before that, the memory fades. Was an "A" level club player for most of that and was able to beat a few of the club pro's down in the Caribbean in my 30's and early 40's. Quit playing in my mid 40's due to tearing up my knee playing squash. Stayed away for almost 20 years but got back into it 2 years ago and I still love it, although playing at a considerably different level these days, LOL.

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
As for raquets I spent quite a bit of time searching for something that was better than my 20 year old Dunlop Revelations. :) The new technology are almost all lighter but I found that the penalty paid was shock transfer to the forearm and elbow. Not a good thing as we get older. I settled on the Head Instinct PWR. They feel great, the only thing I tried that came remotely close to my old stuff. I haven't messed with string tension at all, still stuck in the 58 - 60 lb range. If you have a pro shop close buy see if you can try one out.

Head Graphene XT PWR Instinct | Tennis Warehouse Australia

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Funny you guys mention string tension....when I played a few weeks ago, I thought if my strings had less tension I might have better control on volleys. It's challenging for me to stay in bounds.
Another reason I'm leaning towards a new racquet, by the time I've re-gripped and restrung my 1990-ish one, I've possibly sunk too much into it vs buying a new tech $150-200. Racquet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts