The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a year ago I started moving my pedal collection towards using the Temple Audio boards. I bought a Solo18 and a few modules. The Solo18 is a great size for country and blues gigs but for Church gigs I like having a few more options.

So this week I bought a Trio28 and I’m in the process of wiring it up. I thought I’d post the progress pics as I go. I’ve been really inspired by Omillion Audio’s boards so a lot of what I’m doing I’ve borred from their Temple Builds as well as other tricks I’ve picked up along the way.

You can see here I did some prep work last night, labelling my power supply and installing a buffer, power and patching module.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Wow, Solo18 to Trio28... that’s a big step up! I’d like to hear about some of the tips you’re implementing as I might do some changes to my board soon. I saw some pictures on the Facebook page you mentioned that look interesting but I have no idea how they work.

Here are some tips I can give:
  • You might want to consider an extra stabilizer bar on the bottom. The Trio can have a bit of flex and the extra bar can help.
  • Speaking of flex, volume, expression, and wah pedals that require your foot to rest on them are better suited to the stronger spots on the board at the ends.
  • The screw holes on the bottom of some pedals line up with the hole pattern on the Temple Board. Get some longer screws of the same type as the pedal from Lowes and some washers and you can firmly bolt some pedals instead of using a pedal plate.
  • I haven’t had any issues, but I have heard some pedals mounted underneath with the pedal plates can come loose. I have reinforced some of these with zip ties.
Curious to see what else you are going to do!

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok had some more time to work on the power wiring tonight. It’s basically just letting my OCD run free.

First I added the plates to the bottoms of the pedals shown. When working with a temple board a rookie mistake is not to account for where the thumb screws will go in before routing wires.

Next I’m doing the power wiring - Adding tie tabs, pulling the power cables nice and tight, making everything straight.

Finally, just a note that labelling a power supply before you run the cables is probably not worth your time. I’ll redo this soon.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Is there an advantage to running the power cables on top of the board? I always thought that the great things about these boards was that everything could run underneath and surface just next to the pedal.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there an advantage to running the power cables on top of the board? I always thought that the great things about these boards was that everything could run underneath and surface just next to the pedal.
If you’re using cable tie mounts like I am the adhesive pad is white...if you ran them on the bottom of the board you’d see strips of white all over the board.

Also, if you’re taking time to wire the board well it’s kind of nice to show off the wiring ;)

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the final couple of pieces came in yesterday and today...the Centura being the final one...and guess what? I measured some thing incorrectly. Most problematic is that the Centura is bigger than Templeplanner.com lead me to believe which must mean it’s bigger than a real Centaur.

Here’s a pic but we’re headed back to square one folks. The lesson here is to be patient in committing to a layout until all the puzzle pieces are in place. Le sigh.

·
Administrator
16,733 Posts
Well the final couple of pieces came in yesterday and today...the Centura being the final one...and guess what? I measured some thing incorrectly. Most problematic is that the Centura is bigger than Templeplanner.com lead me to believe which must mean it’s bigger than a real Centaur.

Here’s a pic but we’re headed back to square one folks. The lesson here is to be patient in committing to a layout until all the puzzle pieces are in place. Le sigh.

To the best of my knowledge the Centura is exactly the same size as the original Klon

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Most problematic is that the Centura is bigger than Templeplanner.com lead me to believe
I found the Temple planner to be a slightly more generous in available space than reality. Pedals that look like they should have just enough room don’t quite.

It’s hard to tell from the angle of your picture so you might be doing this already, but your pedals should be able to hang over the red end pieces without a problem. If you can live without handles, you can get more space there too.

·
Administrator
16,733 Posts
upload_2018-8-30_19-41-20.png

based on the image above i wonder if the Klon shown is actually the size of the KTR enclosure.

Reactions: TimH

·
Administrator
16,733 Posts
If you can't make it work I have an Arc Effects Klone that will fit that space perfectly :D

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts

Just me thinking out loud, but I always put my tuner in the most inconvenient place... I mean you're not using it in the middle of a song, ideally.

·
Administrator
16,733 Posts
Just me thinking out loud, but I always put my tuner in the most inconvenient place... I mean you're not using it in the middle of a song, ideally.
Definitely.

·
Premium Member
12,594 Posts
Yep, I do the same. The first row (when I have one) is usually for drives and echoes - the boxes I tend to stomp on mid song. Phaser/flanger/chorus, other mods and comp are second row as I'm more likely to engage them at the beginning of the song (and for the whole song), not in the middle of it. Tuner only between songs, so hardest to get at. Third row? What's a third row?

Reactions: davetcan
1 - 14 of 14 Posts