The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have one.
My a-little-too-precious response: My American Standard Tele is number 5. Great for signature Tele tones when needed, but not a “go to” gtr for all occasions. My amps are now set up for Strat, LP and Yammy AES1500. So likely that’s what makes the Tele a specialty item: it doesn’t have a dedicated amp in my house. I did have a Traynor YCV40wr set up for the Tele. It was sublime, but not variable enough to be an everyday player. I always felt like Burton or Cropper. ...just a second what are all these moveable knobs on my amp for? Never noticed them before!
Frankly I will wank away on anything and be happy...but when I feel quarantined, fussy and talentless, I rank my gtrs for tonal flexibility and playability. Starting to get a little stir-crazy! otherwise I’d be playing rather than writing this ...

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I have had five or six including a 52 Reissue Hot Rod, a custom shop 59 Esquire and a vintage 1966. In fact I showed a photo not much over a month ago with three Tele’s, including what has become my only Tele, a 2009 CS Nocaster. It quickly supplanted the other Tele’s in the pic and they went away. Never say never but I think this is my telecaster to end all telecasters. If I had to choose a single electric, that’s the one.

·
Registered
EJ Strat, Ibanez AZ, '62 Thinskin Tele, EBMM Silhouette Special, Carvin Holdsworth HF2
278 Posts
I've gone through 9 in the past. Various shapes and configurations. Many of them partscasters.

I only own one tele now. It started out as a Fender special run '62 thinskin from Wildwood. (I got it in a trade for a different tele.) It's been modded. I love the pickups, so I bought an Ilitch hum cancelling pickguard. The neck and the saddles have changed as well.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Been a Strat guy most of my days but I did buy a Tele back in the late 90's. It was a great guitar, did everything a Tele should but at that time I didn't really bond with it so I sold it. I never got another one until earlier this year and this one I can't put down. I always thought I could fake Tele sounds on my Strat but Tele's really are a special animal all their own. It's currently my favourite guitar to plug straight into a tube amp with no effects.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Never owned a Tele, the thick neck never floated my boat.

Used to be a LP guy, now a Strat guy

·
Premium Member
12,024 Posts
Tele's are like Ford pickups. You can option the damn things dozens of different ways and come up with a lot of unique combinations, from traditional to humbuckers and tune-a-matics to Filtertrons and Bigsby's. A guy could own a dozen and each one could be different enough to justify having it.

I didn't really get into Tele's for the first 30 of my 45 years of playing. Then I tried one. Since then, I've bought 3 and still have 2 - a traditional 2 SC/3 brass saddles and a SC/HC with a Bigsby. Those cover a lot of ground for 2 'the same type' guitars. Leo got it incredibly right for his at bat.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
I bought my first tele in '95. It was a 1994 Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ and also the only tele I've had until last month. After gigging with it for 10 years, I got introduced to a PRS. Since then I've moved on from the PRS to Gibsons. Recently I got a Squier Affinity Tele which I have converted into an Esquire. And I am about to pick up an MIM Tele body and neck tomorrow which I am planning on converting into another Esquire.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Squier CV Custom tele and I'm working on putting together a partscaster tele loosely based on Beck's telegib. MIM Strat neck on a poplar body that was routed for 2 HBs.

Edit: thought I’d do a mock up of the covid19 telegib.. added a few pictures of them. The Squier neck is what you read about, thin and narrow, but the vintage frets are what make it feel different from my other guitars that all have taller frets. The project neck is a lefty mim, and it looks and feels as nice as my US Strats. The tele body is routed for a Strat heel too, in case you’re wondering why the Strat neck. It’s an oddball body I got on kijiji for $40, but it’s made exactly to fender dimension but has no through holes for strings, had a Gibson stoptail installed at one point and maybe even a 24.75” scale neck because of where the bridge holes were drilled.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Down to one, a blonde/RW 2008 63 Relic that I’ve owned since new. Here are the other that have darkened my door:

Samick Valley Arts Pro, butterscotch/maple

1972 Thinline, butterscotch/maple

CS Ltd. Edition Esquire, butterscotch/maple

MIM Baja, also butterscotch/maple

CS Ltd. Edition “52 meets 62” double bound LPB body/RW

MIJ Custom, double bound 3TSB body/RW

Am. Pro HH silverburst, ebony board

MIJ Custom double bound CAR body/RW

Capsule Esquire LPB/maple

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ummm, can you please tell us more about that, what I think is a Kramer?
That's a partscaster I put together with some miscellaneous stuff I had kicking around. I'm a big Mick Mars fan and had always wanted a Kramer tele like the one he had on the Dr. Feelgood tour. They're nearly impossible to find and about 10K USD if you do (even the Classic IIIs are usually listed around 2K). I figured I'd just build my own. It plays surprisingly well if you're into that whole 80s thing.

Here's the post I did on the build when I finished it up this spring: Shred Tele build

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 7 at the moment. They are all parts guitars that are built to play. I'm not big on shiny with hang tags and case candy. I've been that route and I prefer a custom built good player with good quality pickups, light weight bodies and nitro finish and necks with girth. All bodies are MJT except the last one which is a wide fade 2 tone sunburst 55' fender custom shop journeyman body.
2019-11-17 15.06.28.jpg
2020-02-27 17.32.40.jpg
2020-04-11 23.35.22-1.jpg
2020-08-03 20.34.58.jpg
2019-02-28 12.39.52.jpg
2020-09-25 15.59.06.jpg

41 - 60 of 74 Posts