The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
About a dozen or so. Only one I regret selling was a 60th Anniv with the logo inlaid behind the bridge. Super light, neck was too fat for me at the time but would be perfect now after a few years playing bass.

·
Registered
787 Posts
This many:

Plus this one I have for sale in the classifieds section:

Ones I've had but didn't keep:
-94 Squier Series
-Recent partscaster build

·
Registered
14,745 Posts
Never owned a Tele.
Never felt comfortable to me.

But I have heard a lot of cool music coming from a Tele-so go for it.

Closest I ever came to a Tele user was when I taught--the school I taught at had some old copy guitars in a storage room, mostly in bad shape.
They could be used by myself or a student.
Most of the time I brought my own guitar, but if for some reason I didn't/couldn't bring one I used a Tele copy -because it was in the best condition.
And the body was nowhere near as thick as a real Tele.

But mostly I brought my own.
When we moved locations the guitar didn't make the trip.

Reactions: Wardo

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
I have 1 and it's the only one I've owned. I find them good for covering a lot of ground, but the twangy bridge pickup thing that it excels at is not really my bag. My strats can cover all the sounds that the tele does plus more. I need separate bridge and neck tone controls too so my tele stays home on jam day
Many seem to think the strat bridge is a close equal to the tele bridge. As a tele player for nearly 4 decades and one who has gone through a few strats and could never bond with them I'll say it couldn't be further from the truth. The strat bridge gets no where near a Tele bridge pickup. The strat has some great sounds other wise but the strat bridge PU was always one of the deal breakers for me.
I can see for a player that prefers the strat and doesnt' have too much experience with a tele to think the bridge is close enough to a tele but in reality it isn't.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Fair enough. And I agree they're definitely different. But the twangy bridge thing isn't what I'm going for anyways. And if I needed to fake it in a tune I could make do with the strat
That I can agree with. Its definitely a "fake it" tele sound. The "fail" is when a tele player grabs a strat expecting to get a tele sound out of a strat bridge.
For me I always tried strats for the other sounds they got. It just never worked for me. I love the sound other strat players get from them but I could never do it. The last strat I ever owned was the best I owned, a Wildwood 10 Journeyman relic custom shop 56. It was a beautiful guitar but I just couldn't bond. I figure if I can make it with that one no strat will work.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i'm sure it will come back but i lost my GAS symptoms after getting my first and only tele a couple of years ago

2 years with no GAS is a record for me by a long shot

mexi tele w/ pickups swapped out to Fender '64 set and locking stepped tuners

j

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have had 3 but current only own 1 and I might sell it too.
I had an '89 USA Plus Deluxe with Lace Sensors and a mid 2000s G&L Asat with P90s.
The one I kept is a 2000 American Deluxe with VNs.
It had the best feel and the best tone of the 3.

Reactions: Wardo

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Tele's are the best.
I've owned a couple dozen.
My main guitar is a Tele; '06 custom shop Nocaster. Best guitar I've ever owned, beating up guitars costing tens of times more than it did.
My second favourite Tele (and guitar in general) was one I parted with this year; a custom shop 50's Thinline Tele with rosewood neck. Amazing guitar.
Third favourite was a John English Masterbuilt Stealth Esquire. The pickups-- especially the novelty hidden neck pickup... all but useless-- sucked, but the neck was perfection and relic tasteful.
There've been many others, including a couple vintage, and then some high end replicas (the best of which was a Clive Brown... nobody comes close to his level of realism).
A cool "off" take on the Tele was a Linhof Special I had... kinda' wish I still had it (it's the sunburst one in the photo below).
Here are some of them below when they all lived with me:

21 - 40 of 74 Posts