The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! This was my first time ever doing anything with a guitar aside from trying to play it, I'm pretty happy. It's not perfect, but it'll do!

I had an Ibanez SA160 I traded for this Tele;

20180209_111659 by Mitch Parsons, on Flickr

Someone had relic'd it and I wasn't really a fan, the neck didn't have the same patina so I took matters into my own hands. I'm terrible at taking pictures so I don't have a whole lot along the way but I'll post up what I have.

I sanded out the nicks and deep scratches as best I could, the bottom edge was pretty beat up so I ended up needing to fill it.

20180323_131457 by Mitch Parsons, on Flickr

Then it was off to paint;

20180324_123632 by Mitch Parsons, on Flickr

This is the second colour I picked. The first didn't really lay well and I had to go with a different style of paint.

20180327_164402 by Mitch Parsons, on Flickr

20180329_201358 by Mitch Parsons, on Flickr

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The finish is far from "factory fresh" But I'm happy with the turnout.

20180329_204432 by Mitch Parsons, on Flickr

Since its not a real Fender and I can only imagine how cheap the pickups that were in it are, I decided to upgrade to some Seymour Duncan Quarter pounders.

20180407_003931 by Mitch Parsons, on Flickr

Final product! Still thinking I'm going to replace the pickguard and maybe buff the switch plate.

20180407_003754 by Mitch Parsons, on Flickr

All that's left is to throw some strings on it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the positive comments. I think I'd do things a little different next time. But live and learn right!

Side note. I'm having some trouble finding a nut to fit the neck. I picked up a tele/strat but today, but it's still a tad too wide. I know the neck is some sort of aftermarket neck, but I'm not sure who makes it. Any advice on where to go from here?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'm no expert, but I think fitting a nut pretty much always requires some filing or sanding. They make them a bit too big on purpose so you can custom fit to your guitar.

The paint looks great. Love that color!

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Thanks for the positive comments. I think I'd do things a little different next time. But live and learn right!

Side note. I'm having some trouble finding a nut to fit the neck. I picked up a tele/strat but today, but it's still a tad too wide. I know the neck is some sort of aftermarket neck, but I'm not sure who makes it. Any advice on where to go from here?
As long as the string spacing is okay it’s fine.

You’ve gotta watch with some necks, I had an allparts tro-fat and it was thinner than the usual.
The e strings were too close to the edge.

Nathan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As long as the string spacing is okay it’s fine.

You’ve gotta watch with some necks, I had an allparts tro-fat and it was thinner than the usual.
The e strings were too close to the edge.

Nathan
This neck seems on the thin for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The quarter pounders have a really fat sound! That's for sure. Not quite what I expected, still sounds pretty good though!

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
The guitar looks great, especially the colour. It appears to be very similar to the old Chrysler Q5 Turquoise/Seafoam Green

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The guitar looks great, especially the colour. It appears to be very similar to the old Chrysler Q5 Turquoise/Seafoam Green
Its a Ford colour. I ended up using an automotive paint. I just like the way it lays far better than anything in the home improvement section. I wanted it to be more of a pale seafoam green with no flake, but I'm happy overall!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts