The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a search of the forums to see if anyone started a post about Telecaster owners yet. Didn't come across any so I thought I'd bring it up. Just wondering how many Telecaster players are on the board? I already posted some pics of my Allparts homebrew. I'm a fan of all Telecasters, I don't subscribe to the so called MIA superiority; I've seen enough duds in all lines to know that quality varies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi bRian. Count me in. Luv 'em. Always will. I do have other guitars, but the Tele or Esquire will always be at the top!

-USA Hwy 1 Modded to Esquire
-MIM STD Tele Modded
-MIM '50's Re-issue Esquire
+ in-complete Tele build

G Man

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I started as a Tele man... then branched out. Still have my original tele , a 67 with maple on maple neck. Had pickup problems a few years ago so I got some CS texas tele pickups in it with the 4 way switch mod and it is heaven...

·
Premium Member
11,943 Posts
Currently, and for about ten years, I have had a nice Korean Squire Protone Thinline Telecaster. (Rumour was that Fender discontinued the line because they sold better than all their other Tele variations...made too good by Cort or whatever. Whether or not that's actually true, it's a pretty nice axe.)

I replaced the neck with a Stew-Mac rosewood board with slightly higher frets. Other than the neck, ivoroid knobs, Graph-Tech saddles, and regular Schaller straplocks, it's stock. I tried Duncan pickups in it once but the originals are back in now. It came with a gigbag but it was replaced by a molded Fender case.

One previous Tele was an early 70s brown Deluxe with those great Fender humbuckers. A couple of years ago, 20 years after I sold it, it passed through Folkway Music in Guelph for 5 times the money I paid for it, and truly work worn. I wanted to buy it back but simply couldn't put the cash together.

After I bought the Deluxe I bought a matching mid 70s Telecaster bass with the big neck position humbucker. Wish I had them both now.

There have been other Teles but those are the ones that matter to me. My gas meter is pointing to another soon.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
19,580 Posts
Yeah I use a Tele for a few songs.

To me though, just because it's shaped like a Tele doesn't mean it IS one.

I'm not talking about the name on the peghead either. A guitar with two humbuckers doesn't sound anything like the Tele sounds in my mind. Nothing wrong with it but it's like throwing a couple of single coils in a Les Paul.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...discovering the telecaster is one of the great joys of playing different guitars.

i have a 96 tele deluxe plus with three suhr single coils, which replaced the stock gold lace sensors.

last year i picked up an mij aerodyne tele. the stock pickups were replaced with a seymour duncan p90 neck and nashville five-two bridge.

one day soon i'd like to own two jim krueger/eric pykala teles: one traditional all blonde/natural tele with a maple neck, and one non-traditional three pickup tele with body contours and a wilkinson trem - bright red, please (grin)!

-dh

·
Premium Member
19,580 Posts
realize that and I was thinking of giving those away...I`ll take your name off the list then.

Sorry man. No offence intended. I just have a very strong sense of how a Tele sounds and although I have played some Tele Customs and similar and found them to be very nice instruments they just don't sound like a Tele to me.

It's a personal thing.

·
Premium Member
11,943 Posts
I totally get what Milkman is saying, but if I wanted a Les Paul style axe I'd still prefer the Tele Deluxe with humbuckers.

The best bridge pickup I ever had in a Tele was one switched out from an early Fender lapsteel. It looked and sounded like a Tele pickup except hotter and smoother and Roy Buchanan like. Wish I had all that gear now!

Best neck pickup has yet to be found but I generally love the better ones. Suggestions anyone?

It's kind of my electric mantra...Tele into tube amp.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
19,580 Posts
I totally get what Milkman is saying, but if I wanted a Les Paul style axe I'd still prefer the Tele Deluxe with humbuckers.

Peace, Mooh.

That's the point I was trying to make. A Tele with humbuckers sounds more like a Les Paul than a Tele IMO.

I'm not a purist by any stretch of the imagination. Pretty much anything goes as far as I'm concerned. I'd say the same thing about a Strat with humbuckers or a Les Paul with singles. There are players who prefer those. I think the pickup style (not necessarily the brand) has a lot to do with the trademark sounds of these guitars.

Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have 2, neither of which would qualify as a "standard" tele.

1 is a Tele Plus with Lace Sensors - I know the Lace's have a mixed reception, but for Genesis/Hackett/U2 stuff, thru my echo-laden pedal-board into a Roland Jazz Chorus, it's terrific. And the dual red bridge pickup sounds aces thru a Boss OD-3.

The other one's a Squier Fat Tele, which my lead guitarist loves and refuses to give back. However, he's tried several of the same model and hasn't found another one that sounds like mine. I still want it back though...

Oh, and Milkman, I'm going to try and make your gig in Dover on the 13th...and could you post details and directions to your summer bash? I may be out of town, but I know a few people who'd like to go to that one....

·
Premium Member
19,580 Posts
I have 2, neither of which would qualify as a "standard" tele.

1 is a Tele Plus with Lace Sensors - I know the Lace's have a mixed reception, but for Genesis/Hackett/U2 stuff, thru my echo-laden pedal-board into a Roland Jazz Chorus, it's terrific. And the dual red bridge pickup sounds aces thru a Boss OD-3.

The other one's a Squier Fat Tele, which my lead guitarist loves and refuses to give back. However, he's tried several of the same model and hasn't found another one that sounds like mine. I still want it back though...

Oh, and Milkman, I'm going to try and make your gig in Dover on the 13th...and could you post details and directions to your summer bash? I may be out of town, but I know a few people who'd like to go to that one....
Hey Buckaroo,

I think Lace Sensors sound like very clean single coils and maintain the trademark Tele sounds nicely (just quieter).

The Dover F13 gig will be a lot of fun. Please make sure to say hi if you do make it. As you probably know it's going to be packed. If you find yourself in a line up, please ask for me.

The August Summer Bash is our biggest and best shpw of the year every year and yes, I'll be posting links which will provide all the information about the show.

Thanks for asking.

1 - 20 of 248 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.