The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ladies and Gents,

Recently I decided I wanted a project that is less effort than a full scratch build, relatively cheap, and something to pick away at while having a few cold beverages on the weekend. I looked online for something that would suit my needs.

A while later, this arrived:

That's a basic telecaster kit from diyguitars.com

I don't have any other pictures of the unboxed kit, because I was excited to dive in, but I'll give a description of the parts now: not the best.

The body is actually not too bad, clean routes decent grain matching. The neck is okay, nothing special and it's got a lot of streaks in the maple, which I hate.

The hardware is the same stuff you can buy on eBay for a few dollars a piece and the pockguard should have been thrown in the garbage right away; the neck pocket cutout is beveled on the bottom and the guard is just "close" not perfect.

Moving on: I installed the neck for the first step

Next step was establishing my centre lines and ensuring everything was routed true; luckily it was.

Positioning the bridge and using a punch to insure against bit wandering with the drill

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tightening in the screws for the bridge

Next was mounting the poorly cut and improperly fitting pickguard.

And here's the guitar mostly together (other than the strap buttons and output jack) please disregard the mess, my parents are in the midst of renovations.

Output Jack installation is next; I tried to illustrate how bent up the jack plate is, it's a very flimsy metal.

Then installing the strap buttons:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And then the tuners that I had completely forgotten about:

And finally up to where the guitar sits right now; I printed a Tele headstock template and lines it up on the headstock as best as it would work. The headstock is shaped slightly different from a standard Tele, but it's as close and the template would allow.

My next step is to cut the headstock on my uncles bandsaw, which I'll be doing this afternoon. After that, it'll be a little while before I update again, but next will be paint and some more work on the neck. Thanks for checking out my mediocre Tele.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A small update. I went ahead and cut the headstock out on the bandsaw. I've left it rough for now, but when I return In about two weeks (I'm driving across province camping and seeing sights) I should be ready to do some finish sanding and start laying down my primer coats. I haven't picked my colour coat yet, but I'm trying to decide between a mellow yellow or a red. I'll likely choose when I see what's available in person.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I have dreamt of doing this so many times and didn't do anything, chicken shit I guess. What else can I say.%h(*&

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not bad so far. Too bad you didn't come up with your own headstock design, and "Make it your own"
I had initially thought about doing that, but ultimately I found the fender style headstock to be the most aesthetically pleasing to me; the headstock is not 100% to fender spec, but it's about 99%. You'd have to see it alongside a real fender Tele to spot the minute differences.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's that on the right? 442?

Sorry to threadjack.
Great eyes! You are 100% correct. It's a '72 Olds 442 cutlass supreme. It's dads car, he bought it a few years back and it's all original except for the radio and he had it refinished in Olympic white. We have the original radio to install in the dash and the rare tic toc tachometer as well as a few other original parts that just haven't made it on there yet. I'll have to grab a few pics when I'm home again.

·
Administrator
16,452 Posts
Great eyes! You are 100% correct. It's a '72 Olds 442 cutlass supreme. It's dads car, he bought it a few years back and it's all original except for the radio and he had it refinished in Olympic white. We have the original radio to install in the dash and the rare tic toc tachometer as well as a few other original parts that just haven't made it on there yet. I'll have to grab a few pics when I'm home again.
Great car, tell your dad I'm envious :) I was 20 back in '72 and a bit of a car freak, guitars have replaced that obsession but I still love cars :)

Good luck with the Tele build, I'll be watching with interest.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a chance to get home for a bit today, so I decided to try and get as much finished with the body as I could. The colour I finally settled on is completely different than what I had originally settled on. This is the colour I picked: Rustoleum Lagoon

And here's the first heavy coat I did; I need to do some more finish sanding to prep for the clear coat:

I'm a bit of a sucker for blue guitars.

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
Keep it coming. I love build threads. I don't have the space, tools, money or skills, so I do it vicariously from threads like this.

Reactions: greco

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keep it coming. I love build threads. I don't have the space, tools, money or skills, so I do it vicariously from threads like this.
Honestly, if you have a drill and some patience, you could put one of these guitars together in short order; I wouldn't recommend this kit as the finished product likely won't be as nice as a starter pack squier, but I'm in it for the fun and to see what I can make out of a terrible abomination of parts.

Thanks for checking it out. I'm hoping to do some wet sanding tomorrow and possibly start my first clear coats.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts