The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping my fellow CGers can help me with a Tele finish recommendation. I recently saw a NGD thread on another forum for a Fender Limited Edition Roasted Ash '52 Telecaster that I fell for at first site. Here is a pic:
Roasted Tele2 copy.jpg

I would buy one stock but I am not personally a fan of the U shaped 7.25" radius neck on these Teles. Many consider that to be the perfect Tele neck, but I grew up playing Fenders with modern C 9.5" radius necks and that is what I prefer. As a result I am thinking of putting together my own.

Warmoth offers unfinished Roasted Swamp Ash bodies, and I would like to try match the finish on the Fender as closely as possible. Apparently Fender applied a light butterscotch nitro finish, and I am wondering how I can get close with this body from Warmoth:
SwampAsh.jpg

So here is where I hope I can get some help from you.

Can anyone recommend a Canadian company that can apply a similar finish? Or is there anyway I can get reasonably close on my own?

As always I appreciate the amazing support from the members of this forum!

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Looks like a slight amber tint to me.

Amber shellac, tru oil (sold as gun stock oil from lee valley), or watco lacquer (nitro sold in spray bombs at home depot).

I see no butterscotch at all in that pic.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions!

You could always ask Warmoth. They might have a finish or be able to recommend one. Their finishing is very good.
I have sent an email to Warmoth and I am looking forward to their reply. Ultimately I would like to order the parts from Warmoth and get the finish done in Canada, but if they can do it that would certainly simplify things.

Looks like a slight amber tint to me.

Amber shellac, tru oil (sold as gun stock oil from lee valley), or watco lacquer (nitro sold in spray bombs at home depot).

I see no butterscotch at all in that pic.

Nathan
I completely agree about the butterscotch tint, but I did read that on a Fender forum. And thanks for your suggestions! I will definitely check them out.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Chris, I would suggest that the roasted ash body is just clear coated and nothing else.

A butterscotch finish is done by adding amber dye to the topcoat. If done to a roasted ash body, it won’t look much different than a regular ash body and therefore may not be worth the additional charge for roasted ash.

Most topcoats will amber slightly over time. More so with nitro - in fact, a true vintage guitar with “butterscotch” finish most likely started out as a blonde guitar and the finish has darkened up.

·
Premium Member
4,544 Posts
Tung oil to pop the grain. takes about a week to dry but it will look like a clear coat and not change the color of the wood by as much as something like tru oil

Does warmoth offer nitor finish on guitar bodies? I don't think it is listed, but you can get your neck done in Nitro. I always thought that was weird.

Reactions: Fox Rox

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Tung oil to pop the grain. takes about a week to dry but it will look like a clear coat and not change the color of the wood by as much as something like tru oil

Does warmoth offer nitor finish on guitar bodies? I din't think it is listed, but you can get your neck done in Nitro. I always thought that was weird.
They do a satin nitro finish for necks, but their bodies are all poly, I believe.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am hoping my fellow CGers can help me with a Tele finish recommendation. I recently saw a NGD thread on another forum for a Fender Limited Edition Roasted Ash '52 Telecaster that I fell for at first site. Here is a pic:
View attachment 144193
I would buy one stock but I am not personally a fan of the U shaped 7.25" radius neck on these Teles. Many consider that to be the perfect Tele neck, but I grew up playing Fenders with modern C 9.5" radius necks and that is what I prefer. As a result I am thinking of putting together my own.

Warmoth offers unfinished Roasted Swamp Ash bodies, and I would like to try match the finish on the Fender as closely as possible. Apparently Fender applied a light butterscotch nitro finish, and I am wondering how I can get close with this body from Warmoth:
View attachment 144201
So here is where I hope I can get some help from you.

Can anyone recommend a Canadian company that can apply a similar finish? Or is there anyway I can get reasonably close on my own?

As always I appreciate the amazing support from the members of this forum!
I really like that finish!!

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris, I would suggest that the roasted ash body is just clear coated and nothing else.

A butterscotch finish is done by adding amber dye to the topcoat. If done to a roasted ash body, it won’t look much different than a regular ash body and therefore may not be worth the additional charge for roasted ash.

Most topcoats will amber slightly over time. More so with nitro - in fact, a true vintage guitar with “butterscotch” finish most likely started out as a blonde guitar and the finish has darkened up.
Andrew that is excellent advice as always from you.

Does warmoth offer nitor finish on guitar bodies? I din't think it is listed, but you can get your neck done in Nitro. I always thought that was weird.
Apparently they don't offer nitro finishes on guitar bodies. I am also planning to get a roasted maple Tele neck from them, and I might leave that bare.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
here is my suggestion....
below is a pick of my first of 2 guitars that I totally finished with 5 coats of TRU-OIL
( the five coats used up one bottle which at the time cost just over ten bucks.
This amazing stuff is sold at Lee Valley ( Waterloo store is where I got it).

I know you cant feel the finish from a picture but please believe me its the smoothest finish you will ever handle.
If you want my procedure on how I applied and finished the work, just ask.
here is the pic and that's all I have to say about that.
G.
DSC03949.JPG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts