The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to take @StevieMac 's advice and get a Burtone Telecaster Built. Once I started shopping around, it just started making sense . The USD to CAD is a bit of a b!tch, but it isn't a deal killer.

It will look similar to the one below (which I love). I realize the relic guys will disapprove (and that's cool - I get it), but I need a relic'd neck to play to my full capability and a relic'd neck will look stupid without a relic'd body.

My question is this - what fret wire is typically found on the older 50s teles or the 50s custom shops? Is it the 6230?

for burtone.png

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I've decided to take @StevieMac 's advice and get a Burtone Telecaster Built. Once I started shopping around, it just started making sense . The USD to CAD is a bit of a b!tch, but it isn't a deal killer.

It will look similar to the one below (which I love). I realize the relic guys will disapprove (and that's cool - I get it), but I need a relic'd neck to play to my full capability and a relic'd neck will look stupid without a relic'd body.

My question is this - what fret wire is typically found on the older 50s teles or the 50s custom shops? Is it the 6230?

View attachment 89793
Have you bought the body yet if not yet tonebomb on eBay . They are Canadian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
6230 is the small vintage wire. Are you going with a 7.25" radius?

I actually like the smaller wire with the vintage radius.

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6230 is the small vintage wire. Are you going with a 7.25" radius?

I actually like the smaller wire with the vintage radius.
TBH, I don't know the radius for these guitars, but I'm thinking 9.5 and 6105s might be the way to go. I have 6105s on my LP style guitar, so maybe I should stick to it.

I may have to go out again and hit a couple of shops. Cosmo sold all the ones I needed to look at.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts

View attachment 89793
Now, is this the same Adcandour that told us a few months ago that he was done buying guitars?:)

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now, is this the same Adcandour that told us a few months ago that he was done buying guitars?:)
Did I say that? I probably said - I have found my tone and I'm done - which I have/am.

I need a second quality guitar for when the Monty is in the shop . I'm planning on having the Monty refinished and can't go guitarless for a month :)

Also, I need one to play on the main level of my home - the new puppy is consuming way too much time. I can't get down to the basement and play for more than 20 minutes, since getting him. He's making me nuts, and he's my wife's dog.

After typing that out, I see it's a pretty weak cover for some tele gas...

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
TBH, I don't know the radius for these guitars, but I'm thinking 9.5 and 6105s might be the way to go. I have 6105s on my LP style guitar, so maybe I should stick to it.

I may have to go out again and hit a couple of shops. Cosmo sold all the ones I needed to look at.
Can't go wrong with the 6105 IMO. I have the Jescar 55085 wire on my Tele style guitar....its the same height as the 6105 but slightly narrower.

·
Registered
8,559 Posts

View attachment 89793

I have no idea how fret wire is numbered/named but I do know that those guitars had the 7.25" radius and small, vintage sized frets.

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no idea how fret wire is numbered/named but I do know that those guitars had the 7.25" radius and small, vintage sized frets.
Yeah, I did a bit of research, but I just can't get my head around it. there's just no way the CS teles I've tried have that radius. The strats I can see, but I just can't fathom the teles.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Colchar is absolutely correct. As a custom build you can have any fret radius and frets that you want. As far as the fret wire goes, I'm with you. My favorite fret size is 6105. I also prefer a 9 1/2" radius.

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
I predict you'll be VERY pleased with Marc's work. And FWIW, the Burtone's can hold their value better than I may have indicated to you earlier. The one that was up here recently sold this week for $1250 USD as a reference point...

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Did I say that? I probably said - I have found my tone and I'm done - which I have/am.

I need a second quality guitar for when the Monty is in the shop . I'm planning on having the Monty refinished and can't go guitarless for a month :)

Also, I need one to play on the main level of my home - the new puppy is consuming way too much time. I can't get down to the basement and play for more than 20 minutes, since getting him. He's making me nuts, and he's my wife's dog.

After typing that out, I see it's a pretty weak cover for some tele gas...

If I was you, I would go back and find that post and delete it. Face it, as long as we can play and have some extra change in our pockets, we are never done. :)

As for a tele, it's on my back burner to get one before too long but I have another guitar in my sights first.

I am sure you'll enjoy yours. There's just something about them that can't be replaced by any other type of guitar.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
godammit - I knew it.
Fender Custom Shop 1951 Heavy Relic Telecaster - Faded Nocaster Blonde
The majority of the custom shop teles ( and there's a lot) on the tundra site are 6105 fret wire and a 9.5 radius. I have played a couple there, so I know this is definitely the route to take.
You can put together a partscaster that looks/sounds/plays like that for $1,500, sans the Fender decal.
Add your own decal if you want.
Math:
Fender Telecaster - $4,995 x 1.13 = $5,644.35 - if the price is in CAD
Tele-style partscaster - $1,500 all in.
$5,644.35
- $1,500.00
_________
$4,144.35
Hey, it's your money

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can put together a partscaster that looks/sounds/plays like that for $1,500, sans the Fender decal.
Add your own decal if you want.
Math:
Fender Telecaster - $4,995 x 1.13 = $5,644.35 - if the price is in CAD
Tele-style partscaster - $1,500 all in.
$5,644.35
- $1,500.00
_________
$4,144.35
Hey, it's your money
Stephen, did you just jump in at the end of the thread again. Shame on you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts