The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your experience, what amp works best with a tele?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
A tele will sound great with any amp....
I think its the type of music you intend to play that should dictate what amp you need.
I get the sweetest jazz tones from my tele plugged straight into my Polytone amp.
I don't think that's where you are headed but its an example of how the amp, more then the guitar, shapes the sound.

G.

If I had to choose the ultimate amp without having any other information, I would choose a Fender Super Reverb.

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
I dont know about you guys but i am just in love with my small 77 Champ. It just does it all for me. Keep in mind i play at very moderate volumes with a compressor and some reverb. Best tone for my style so far. Others may differ i am sure.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I've never heard a Tele sound bad through any tube amp. I typically prefer Fender style amps (tweed and blackface style depending on what I'm looking for).

I also really like them through Vox flavoured amps for lightly overdriven tones.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
@Steadfastly your question is too broad to give an answer.

Can you give us some more information?

What sort of music do you play?

Where do you play? (gigs, bedroom etc)

What amp features do you want? (Eg. multi vs single channel, combo or head and cab, Reverb, tremolo, effects on board)

What effects do you use?

Which kind of Tele?

Price range?

What amps have you tried so far? What did you like/dislike about them?

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, here are the answers as close to being specific as I can be.

What sort of music do you play? - All sorts but the tele mostly for country so looking for that country twang.

Where do you play? (gigs, bedroom etc) - Living room and jamming with friends

What amp features do you want? (Eg. multi vs single channel, combo or head and cab, Reverb, tremolo, effects on board) - Combo amp. No effects other than Reverb and tremolo.

What effects do you use? - TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX

Which kind of Tele? - SX Furrian w/two single coils

Price range? - Under $500.00

What amps have you tried so far? What did you like/dislike about them? A number but my favourite was my Traynor DG-60.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts

What sort of music do you play? - All sorts but the tele mostly for country so looking for that country twang.

What amp features do you want? (Eg. multi vs single channel, combo or head and cab, Reverb, tremolo, effects on board) - Combo amp. No effects other than Reverb and tremolo.

What amps have you tried so far? What did you like/dislike about them? A number but my favourite was my Traynor DG-60.
You already have the amp? I thought you were looking for a new amp :D

In your price range, my Vox AC4 sounds good with my Tele. It does t have reverb, but I put a hint of delay pedal in front of it to add some space to the sound.

A Boss Katana would get you a bunch of different sounds as I know you’re not averse to modelling tech.

A Traynor YGL1 is also in that range used and I think they sound fantastic. A great bang for buck tube amp. It has a master volume, so you could control it. The Reverb doesn’t get the greatest reviews, but it sounded fine to me. I don’t play with a lot of Reverb, anyway.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts

Under 500 rules out the Deluxe Reverb or Princeton Reverb sadly. That is the perfect amp for you imo. An AC15 would also be a great fit, for a more Brad Paisley type twang tone.

If you can get lucky and find another one like my Pepco 730 you'd be golden. I paid $100 for a 1973 Pepco Princeton Reverb clone. I also get great country tones with a Blues Jr, or even my Valve Jr.

The definitive country tone is a Fender Twin Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, or Princeton Reverb. Add a compressor and some slapback delay and the rest is in the fingers. Before the creation of the blackface amps, Buck Owens and Don Rich were getting killer clean tones from Tweed Bassman amps.

If you're not going with a tube amp, I'd be looking at the Fender Mustang GT100. I'm told that it does Fender cleans better than a Boss Katana.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you order from Amazon.com in the USA, you could have it shipped somewhere near the border, then drive down and pick it up. You could save some money that way.
I have 4 things I'm picking up next week in the USA. I should see if I can get an amp delivered there too. But I will be in the Niagara area later this month and it's only 10 minutes to cross the border there. I used to do it all the time. Maybe I'll find something then.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
I have 4 things I'm picking up next week in the USA. I should see if I can get an amp delivered there too. But I will be in the Niagara area later this month and it's only 10 minutes to cross the border there. I used to do it all the time. Maybe I'll find something then.
If you also bought American currency when our dollar was closer to on par, and then saved it, you would save a big amount in exchange. :eek:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts