The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I posted much here. It's also been a while since my last guitar build. However, I do have a Tele style guitar on the go that is getting close to completion. Over the next few days I will get a bunch of details and pics posted.

The body is Alder with a Rosewood cap. The rosewood came from an acoustic back and side set I have that got damaged and was no longer usable for an acoustic. The neck is Peruvian Walnut with a Wenge fretboard. Is used the Rosewood to make a headplate that matched the body.

001.jpg
003.jpg

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Routed the body for a top binding and for P90 pickups. I'm going with a cream colour for both.
I think it will look good with the rosewood sapwood running through the middle.

019.jpg
042.jpg
043.jpg
044.jpg
047.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Looks great John!

Are you attaching your binding with acetone?
Is it plastic binding?
Id love to hear more about your process, Ive made 2 top bound bodies - I attached it with super glue.
It went okay but a lot of cleanup - If theres a better way Id love to hear it.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nathan - yes I use acetone. I don't know for sure what the binding is made of, but I thinks it's ABS.

The first body I put binding on, I used glue and the clean up was a real pain. Acetone is definitely the way to go.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use a slightly tapered plug cutter to cut some position dots from scrap wood. I arranged them a bit differently on this one just to be different. Not sure how I feel about it...

024.jpg
025.jpg
027.jpg

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While working, I was a bit careless and chipped the edge of the headstock.
I tried to patch it and it looked like hell.
So my solution was to route an 1/8" radius on the face. Looks pretty good IMHO.

028.jpg

1 - 20 of 60 Posts