The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that for my winter project I'm going to put together a couple of tele guitars. I want to do one up that will handle hard rock/older metal duties and one with a more vintage stones type sound.

What do you tele players recommend for pickups? I'm going to use a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck for the hard rock guitar and stick with two single coils in the other.

Also what type of saddles do you prefer on your teles.

Thanks for the info and the help.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Ripper said:
I've decided that for my winter project I'm going to put together a couple of tele guitars. I want to do one up that will handle hard rock/older metal duties and one with a more vintage stones type sound.

What do you tele players recommend for pickups? I'm going to use a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck for the hard rock guitar and stick with two single coils in the other.

Also what type of saddles do you prefer on your teles.

Thanks for the info and the help.
You could go with some Seymour Duncan antiquity tele pickups in the one. Definately go with some compensated Tele saddles in both. I've used Pigtails in the past.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Some type of brass barrel saddles would be best for vintage tone. I personally didn't use compensated ones, but they are a good idea.

I used Seymore Duncan Vintage Broadcasters in a 52' RI tele I owned, and they nailed the sound pretty good.

I personally think an Ash body is something that contributes to a vintage Tele sound too.

if I was going for a vintage sounding Tele, I'd probably try to track down parts from a Fender 52' RI. You can get the bridge, pickups, tuners etc for pretty good prices. A lot of people switch to thicker, fancier bridges because it's the 'in' thing to do, but they seem to forget that a real vintage Tele never had parts like that.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The bridge pieces on my 68 Tele were never changed, they are made of 3 pieces of a screw. I don't know the NPT of said screw. They are the ortigionals though

·
Registered
526 Posts
my favorite pickups for teles is an sd vintage in the neck and an sd lil 59er in the bridge. you could split the lil 59er too if you want. I ifnd this combo covers everything I need it to...from mellow tones to full on rockness.

·
Premium Member
16,673 Posts
I have a MIM Tele that I've souped up pretty extensively.

It still sounds VERY much like a Tele though.

Schaller bridge
Schaller locking tuners
LSR roller nut
EMG pickups

It's a clean machine.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I used to have a CIJ 52' RI Tele with SD Broadcasters in it.

I now own a 2003 AmSe Ash Tele. It has a different radius neck, a 6 saddle bridge, and the stock pickups which I believe are Delta Tones.

But these 2 guitars sound VERY similar. This leads me to believe Ash is a key ingredient in a vintage sound.

I have owned a 90's MIM Tele that was Poplar that had a totally different sound to it. Much less bright.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
The best pickups I've ever used on a Tele are original Joe Bardens:

These were going for @ US$500.00 a set on eBay since Joe Barden went out of business. He has opened up again and the initial reports are that these are just as good as the originals, but they're still expensive, US$ 340.00 a set plus shipping:

http://www.joebarden.com/main.php?section=Products&pageID=Danny%20Gatton%20T-Style

Next to those I really like Bill Lawrences pickups. I have his L-280TN and L-290TL in my walnut Tele. Classic Tele sound without the shrillness I've found in other aftermarket pickups from some of the bigger companies. And these can rock also. Lean into them and you get a nice crunch:http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickup_Window/280.htm

And tied for 2nd are the Fralin Blues Specials which are on my favorite Tele, My Muddy Water's edition Tele:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, with all the info and pics, now I really want to start building. Those are sweet looking guitars tarbender.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey, nothing wrong with showing off. I've got an old 1981 made in usa fender bullet. Tele body and neck, mustang pickups etc, all original. I love that thing. I bought it new and have had it since, complete with hardshell case. I don't know why it has taken me so long to jump into getting a tele.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Definitely use a comensated saddle. They work great and the guitar will intonate properly. Lots of companies make 'em. Steel, aluminum, brass...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have the original bridge on my 67 its like the screws cut in half thing and intonation has never been a problem. I have looked at the compensated bridge but really don't have a need for it .

·
Registered
316 Posts
I used Kinman Avn 48's in my home brew, Allparts TMNF-V neck, Allparts two piece ash body, electrosocket, Wilkinson bridge and compensated saddles.

·
Registered
274 Posts
No-caster pickups are my favourite for vintage tele tone, and brass or steel saddles. Ash body for sure.

Most of the rest is what you like and what you have available.

I too am in the middle of a tele build

1 - 16 of 16 Posts