The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been contemplating parting with my telecaster but have no idea what kind of value it has. First it would not be considered a collector as some parts have been replaced. It is a 67 tele with maple neck and maple fretboard. It used to be a cream color many many years ago but was stripped down and stained natural. The tuners were a problem so they were replaced with the Fender Schaller type. Years back it was routed out at the neck to accept a HB but over the years the HB was removed and it was back to tele style pickups. The bridge pickup had died on me, but I still have it, and the neck pup has been lost over the years. It now sports a set of texas tele pickups. The selector was changed to a 4 way but the knobs,control plate and bridge are all original. It has been naturally reliced due to a lot of use, actually wore the frets out but had them redone at the 12th fret in Toronto a couple decades ago and they are sweet. Guitar plays and sounds great. If anybody could offer me a little insight it would be appreciated... thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Any time I have Tele questions, I usually head over to the TDPRI forums. Those guys know pretty much everything when it comes to Teles (since it's mainly a Telecaster forum) and they are pretty helpful.

Obviously some of the mods will effect value, but stuff like the refret etc. shouldn't have as much of an effect if the work was done properly at a reputable place.

T

·
0 Posts
Sad to say the refret is the least of your worries....the refin is a killer, the route for the HB is serious, the PUP's have been changed out and none of them are original...that's a real killer...

I collect guitars and I would quit reading after the second sentence...refin!

The most valuable piece on the guitar is the neck...if that hasn't been stripped...good luck though...you're better off keeping it

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
POST DELETED

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
thefishingline said:
I collect guitars and I would quit reading after the second sentence...refin!

The most valuable piece on the guitar is the neck...if that hasn't been stripped...good luck though...you're better off keeping it

Then what you have is more important, if worth less $$$. A PLAYER'S GUITAR !!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I realize it has lost values because of the mods. I did the mods a long time ago before the vintage craze began, and the guitar was my main player. It is a player, great action and sound. The neck other than the refret and new tuners is untouched. I am just trying to find out what the guitar would be worth as a player. For pics , I don't have any recent, pickguard has been changed, but will try and get one up. For now this is an older one.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I think that is really cool looking! Why not put a HB back in since it is already routed for one? Very Keef looking!:banana:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually back when I was about 18 that is why I did the refinish, it was a cream colour and I wanted it to look like Keef's.... Young and didn't know any better....

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have contemplated selling it but I do that every few years, a phase I guess. I was more curious at what value it would actually have. I had one shop tell me above 3k but less than 4k. So I really don't know. Doubt if I really would sell it, I have had it for 30+ years. Thanks for the input though.
I have seen the necks selling for 1k on ebay but like mentioned earlier that is the nicest part of this guitar.

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
PaulS said:
Actually back when I was about 18 that is why I did the refinish, it was a cream colour and I wanted it to look like Keef's.... Young and didn't know any better....
Back in the late 60s I had a Fender Mustang. Sanded it down and painted it fluorescent orange. Quite the freak show under a black light. It was back to natural by '72. Then I had a humbucker put in. Ah yes, young.........

Oh, black guard for sure. The Keef idea (minus the no lower E string of course) isn't a bad idea either.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Hey Paul
I just saw your thread here. That is one cool Tele. It must play like a mutha'.
I know you were wondering about price. I bet if the price was high enough you might consider letting it go. Based on your description vs. your connection with the guitar. It would be a shame to sell it. I think 3K is probably close, give or take a bit to what you would get for it. But that is nothing compared to the feeling in your hands and heart that you have everytime you pick that sucka' up.
I know what that connection is like. I have had a 56 Strat since the early 70's (30+ years). In the late eighties I sold it, for what at the time was a lot of money. In 1990 through a twist of fate it landed back in my living room. As soon as I picked it up and held that neck in my hands I knew it was going to cost me a lot of money, more than I had sold it for. But that guitar was the guitar I learned on and the feel, mind, heart connection was too strong to deny. I will never sell that guitar again.........hopefully.
Besides, there is a real mojo going on in those 67/68 Teles. I have had a bunch and I wish I still had them all. I have a 68' right now that is all original execpt for the neck pickup which is a bucker'. Killer guitar, light and loud!!!
Keep your Tele and play it.
Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks Pete and your right, when I pick it up there is a feeling. It's not for sale actually, just looking at the prices on vintage gear now a days had raised my interest. This one will be passed down to my grandkids someday, I hope....

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
PaulS said:
thanks Pete and your right, when I pick it up there is a feeling. It's not for sale actually, just looking at the prices on vintage gear now a days had raised my interest. This one will be passed down to my grandkids someday, I hope....

Right on...good for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts