The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm breaking the b and high e strings all the time on my MIM Tele. Right now I'm using 9-46's. I'm thinking of going back to 10's but I like the 9-46's. I'm going to get new saddles first. Any idea's on which brand to get?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Probably most would say the compensated saddles, there is Wilkinson,Callaham and a few others to choose from, and in brass.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Try heavier gauge strings, 10's or 11's (you will have to adjust the neck to compensate for the extra tension).

Bogoboy

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm guessing that some of the saddles probably have burrs or sharp edges on them. Give them a little filing to smooth them out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try smoothing out the saddles first. And yes the string is breaking at the bridge.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
After the emery cloth or sandpaper try putting a very small drop of Nut Sauce on the saddle... or get a set of graphite saddles which is propably your most expensive option.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Tarbender said:
After the emery cloth or sandpaper try putting a very small drop of Nut Sauce on the saddle... or get a set of graphite saddles which is propably your most expensive option.
...i use graph tech saddles, and highly recommend them as a solution for string breakage at the bridge. they also enhance tuning stability.

they will, however, darken your tone somewhat, although that is not neccessarily a bad thing.

-dh

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok update. Replaced the strings on Tuesday took a fine sandpaper to the saddles everything looked great. The saddles are alot smoother. The new strings lasted 5 days about 6-7 hours of playing. It just broke on me today. The b string at the bridge. I'm off to the guitar store for some new bridges I hope they have it and I think I'm going to pick up some 11's while I'm at it. Hopefully it fixes my problem.

·
Registered
316 Posts
How old is the guitar? The saddles on the ones I've seen from 2000 and on are very smooth, chrome plated. Check for a burr in the nut slots too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a 2006. No luck on getting some new saddle so I'll have to order some in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts