The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tops of these screws on my cough boutique cough Mansfield Strat were digging into my right hand and that annoyed me.

Yesterday, I put together a (tiny) jig and filed (by hand!) ~2 mm off of each of the TWELVE height adjustment grub screws . Fortunately, the saddles are virtually the same as shown in this pic and I have retained some height adjustment. Given the action is at 0.060" at the 12th fret, I doubt I will be able to go lower.

Before someone suggests that I should have just bought a variety of grub screws with various heights, please do some research. The screw diameters and thread sizes for these are all over the map!

If one is a machinist or someone knowledgeable about this stuff, it might be possible, in time, to track down the exact screws, possibly even with varying heights, somewhere on the planet.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Great project if you're snowed in and have the patience of a saint!

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Fair enough to shorten them (I would have considered just rounding over the tops so they don't hurt you), but you're just torturing yourself filing them down vs using a cutoff wheel and then cleaning up the threads by running the appropriate nut over them (grub screws are great because it doesn't matter if you forget to screw on the nut before cutting because you can thread on from either end), or a die if you have the right one.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
You need an extra saddle as a holder.
Note how much too tall the screw is.
Take it out and put in into the spare saddle. Extend the bottom of the offending screw out as much as you want to take off.
Bench grind the bottom off. It'll get really hot. Nice time to dip it wax that keeps it from rusting and helps hold it in place.
Put it back in the original spot.
Repeat.
:)

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fair enough to shorten them (I would have considered just rounding over the tops so they don't hurt you)
Have you ever actually tried this?
I tried rounding to a very limited extent and it didn't help much. To the greatest extent, it is the threads that are sharp and I was afraid of messing up the threads.

Bench grind the bottom off.
I don't have a bench grinder. The files worked fine.

but you're just torturing yourself filing them down vs using a cutoff wheel
The files weren't torture...and I don't have a grinding wheel.

You need an extra saddle as a holder.
I built a holder from computer standoff bolts and a spacer. Held it in a vise.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Have you ever actually tried this?
I tried rounding to a very limited extent and it didn't help much. To the greatest extent, it is the threads that are sharp and I was afraid of messing up the threads
You can fix the threads by runing the appropriate sized nut over the screw. Dont even need a die.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts