The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 way pickup selector that I want put into my G+L Asat Classic. Normally I go to Chuck Schlifflet for any guitar work, but for something small like this I'm wondering who else is around.

I've heard great things about Vic Farrell. Does anyone know how to get in touch with him?

Of course I know of Jim Mozzell. May end up taking it to him but want to see who else is around first.

Any other recommendations? I was thinking about doing it myself, but my soldering is still a bit messier than I like.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm a big fan of Mozell, he is great. Just call him ahead of time and book your guitar in so you don't have to wait as long for him to get to it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
ENDITOL said:
I'm a big fan of Mozell, he is great. Just call him ahead of time and book your guitar in so you don't have to wait as long for him to get to it.
I like Mozell too. OTOH, unless I'm missing something, that's an easy install...probably 10-15 minutes tops. The only thing I can think of that would make it tough is grounding issues/connections. Aren't you just unsoldering two wires and then soldering them back onto the new switch?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Teleplucker said:
Aren't you just unsoldering two wires and then soldering them back onto the new switch?
There's a bit more than that. You have to add an extra wire between the neck pickup and the selector, and then unsolder and re-solder at least 4 wires to the switch.

Farrell's website is back up so I'm going to call him and Mozell and see who can do it with me being left guitarless for the least amount of time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
kat_ said:
There's a bit more than that. You have to add an extra wire between the neck pickup and the selector, and then unsolder and re-solder at least 4 wires to the switch.

Farrell's website is back up so I'm going to call him and Mozell and see who can do it with me being left guitarless for the least amount of time.
That extra wire might be a pain without a a good iron and the right tips.

Mozell can turn it around in a day if you have an appointment.

I'm really picky and I like his attention to detail. He's also a bit of a mad scientist which appeals to my whimsical side and makes him an interesting guy to talk to if you have the patience to listen to the finer details of intonation and things like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts