The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from the dentist, where I got a new crown for a tooth that busted on a piece of licorice I took out of the fridge.

The crown was made, while I waited, by what is essentially a dental CNC machine sitting on the counter. The dentist takes a bunch of hi-res photos inside your mouth of where the crown needs to go, imports them into the software, models/remodels/shapes the virtual crown (the software highlights where there might be conflicts or rubbing against adjacent teeth), rotating it in 3-D to get a better look at how it will turn out, builds it up in those places where it is feasible and may do some good, and when satisfied ships the data to the CNC machine that carves the crown out of a block of crown material with diamond burrs, spraying it with water during the process to cool the burrs. It took about 20 minutes to machine the crown, and maybe another 20 to fit it and do the fine-tuning. Simply amazing.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
[QUOTE="vadsy, ........I think the more important question is why you would keep your licorice in the fridge?[/QUOTE]

..because that's the last place you'd think of while looking...

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Salty hard licorice is always fresh. Thanks for reminding me of this bag of Boerderij hard zout that I've had in the cupboard for 10yrs. Fresh as the day it was born. :)

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
thats great and all but technology was already pretty wonderful, I think the more important question is why you would keep your licorice in the fridge?
this is exactly my question as well.

That’s because it’s made out of dinosaurs, just like the fuel in your car. It lasted a 100 million years, 10 more is not going to make a difference.
i got a great laugh from that, thanks

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suppose the comfort-level with the crowns is a function of the individual dentist's skill in imaging and shaping it. Admittedly, there is only so much that can be done before installation, so there is likely to be some fine-tuning once installed. I was impressed with the resolution of the 3-D software, so that he could see where it was going to be a tight fit or impede flossing, etc. In theory, being able to make the crown in the office, with the patient in the chair, and all images and past X-rays all available, ought to be more accurate than sending the information off to a service somewhere...in theory. But again, it all rests on the dentist's ability to determine what's going to fit comfortably in there and do the job.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I wonder Mark did you get to see how expensive that might be don't imagine its very cheap to do.And I checked because I was curious but salt does not ever expire so another way to grab more of your cash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts