The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played one of these at L&M yesterday and I've gotta say it's the first time ever that I have not been able to put a bass down. I could have stayed all day and wowed that acoustic guitar room audience with my pentatonic scales and pasty white guy funk :)

I should say that I'm a guitarist (and not a really good one) that sometimes plays a bit of bass and the short-scale of the GS Mini felt right for me. And this thing was louder than any acoustic bass I have ever played--not that I have played a lot--but I have flirted with others. And if you're looking for a somewhat convincing upright bass sound for home recording, I feel like you could pull it off with the Taylor.

The only drawback I could find is that the strings are proprietary. They felt great, almost like a nylon string guitar and were super easy to play, but the only strings that will fit it are the ones that Taylor had D’Addario design for it. You might want to stock up and keep them in the freezer next to your 35mm film and batteries.

I don't know that I'll pay full retail for one ($950 CAN) but that's because I don't play bass often enough, let alone acoustic bass, but I will certainly watch for a used one or wait for the sale.

taylor_gs_mini_bass.png

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Is the fear that they will one day not be available or are they expensive?
I would love an acoustic bass again in the house and this one looks very appealing.
That they may not be available. The market for this small one of a kind bass is pretty small. I am pretty sure at some point it will be discontinued. If it was possible to use other strings that wouldn’t bother me. How long will D’Addario continue making strings for product that is no longer made and didn’t have huge sales numbers while it was in production.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Taylor once produced a bass designed by Steve Klein. Apparently they were amazing however production ceased. Taylor has a reputation for throwing items under the bus such as their pickup systems for acoustics.

If you buy this mini bass, make sure the get the strings in bulk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts