The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Good reminder. I've seen my fair share of dry dirty boards myself. Don't go crazy though, once a year oiling is all that's needed. Use the product of your choice, they're all better than nothing. Personally, I use mineral oil, which is what most commercial fretboard oils are, some with some lemon scent added. Just don't use an oil that will go rancid over time...lol.

·
Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, 70's Northern Strat Copy
3,446 Posts
I use Fret Doctor oil on mine once or twice a year. That said, I tend to flip guitars before the fretboards get too filthy lol. I’m trying to keep a core group now, so we’ll see how it goes.
Why clean em when you can sell em!
I like this philosophy.

I clean the balls off mine, polish the frets and oil the board every time I change my strings. I have exceptionally oily fingers it would seem. It feels like it is worth it.

Reactions: JBFairthorne

·
Premium Member
Reverend Flatroc (1st gen import), Gibson Melody Maker (2003 variation), Tele Builds
5,531 Posts
I’ve never had a fretboard get anywhere NEARLY that filthy. I don’t even know how that happens. 🤮
A previous guitar player in my band never fully restrung his guitar. He'd replace singles as they broke. Which means he never even wiped down his fretboard. The amount of grime around the frets would make me sick. His fretboard likely hadn't been cleaned in years.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
I dunno about using lighter fluid (naptha I hope) - a plastic scraper and 0000 steel wool is what I was taught. And then your choice of oil. Personally I stay away from petrolium products like 'lemon' oil, but whatever floats yer boat.

The consideration here, beyond scum buildup, is that most fretboards are untreated/unfinished (do not do any of this with laquered boards - so all/most maple boards, and sometimes others, mostly Rics but not all Rics; you can ruin those - for those just damp cloth and maybe a plastic scraper if it's really bad then wipe down again). The issue is seasonal moisture and humidy changes - I left one instrument unplayed/uncared for for too long and it developed a hairline crack in the ebony board. No big deal, got a scrap of ebony to make dust and fill it but it closed right up and never came back after a good clean/condition. It's been 10 years and still good, can't even tell where the crack was anymore cuz I don't remember. Probably got that in the nick of time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good reminder. I've seen my fair share of dry dirty boards myself. Don't go crazy though, once a year oiling is all that's needed. Use the product of your choice, they're all better than nothing. Personally, I use mineral oil, which is what most commercial fretboard oils are, some with some lemon scent added. Just don't use an oil that will go rancid over time...lol.
I definitely wouldnt use the product of your choice when it comes to oil. For instance using an oil that goes rancid wouldnt just be a mistake because it may stink, the problem is it not evaporating over time. If the oil doesnt evaporate it'll just damage the wood including unseating the frets. The idea of using ATF sounds crazy, it never dries. Fretboards arent bearings needing lubricant.

Dont trash your guitars with some oil in your cupboard like this guy:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts