The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
That works very well! I was wondering about tear-out on the unsupported edge of the pieces being cut at first......but then I realized the plywood base of the jig would be all the "backing" the work piece would need for a tear free cut.

I have a jointer but I'm not happy with what it "sometimes" does to pieces 1/4" thick or less. Your jig will be perfect for that.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for sharing your techiques once again! You are one more reason to come in here more often and I can't wait to try the above!

Cheers

Gilles

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That works very well! I was wondering about tear-out on the unsupported edge of the pieces being cut at first......but then I realized the plywood base of the jig would be all the "backing" the work piece would need for a tear free cut.

I have a jointer but I'm not happy with what it "sometimes" does to pieces 1/4" thick or less. Your jig will be perfect for that.
I think you are right... the plywood base acts as a backing support. So far, I used the jig three times, the same three times seen in the video, and no tear-outs, very clean cuts.

To be honest, if you already have a jointer then I don't think you need this jig. For thin pieces, maybe try taking off less material with each pass...?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing your techiques once again! You are one more reason to come in here more often and I can't wait to try the above!

Cheers

Gilles
You are welcome. I'm glad this stuff is helpful to others.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
To be honest, if you already have a jointer then I don't think you need this jig. For thin pieces, maybe try taking off less material with each pass...?
sure jointers are nice, but there are times when your rig would work better. Like when the grain pattern you're trying to "capture" is not running parallel to the edge of the board. Your jig would allow someone to accurately line up on the grain and get things perfect.

Besides, jigs are like clamps.......you can never have enough of them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clever and effective tool.

Nice job on the vid too, well done!
Thanks, but I can't take all the credit for the idea of this jig. I saw something similar on youtube first... but that guy was using the table saw fence as the straight-edge-reference... Instead, I decided to use the miter gauge slot, but the idea is the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts