The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the oil this weekend in the new car and am going to switch over to full synthetic oil.

What's your thoughts on frequency to change the oil? I was thinking every 8000 Kms or so. The car sees about 50/50 city & highway driving. My neighbor changes his oil every 13000 or so Kms, but he's 100% highway driving.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Using Synthetic oil does not change the recomended oil change intervals, so if you are a warranty kind of guy, follow the manufacturers recomended oil changes for your vehicle.

I change mine once a year, or every 100K, which ever comes first - that is if you don't count running low on oil and topping it up.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Using Synthetic oil does not change the recomended oil change intervals, so if you are a warranty kind of guy, follow the manufacturers recomended oil changes for your vehicle.

I change mine once a year, or every 100K, which ever comes first - that is if you don't count running low on oil and topping it up.
Ahhh!,...I see you like to baby your car. I generally go for the top-up.

·
Registered
316 Posts
As a rule of thumb if your manufacturer suggests 5000k, intervals; synthetic should be able to get you double the kms before the next oil change. If are paying someone else to change your oil then there are economical reasons added to getting a better quality oil too. I average 1000K a week so that would be an oil change every 5 weeks but since I own a Honda, the dealer recommends every 8000k. I really should be looking at synthetic too; especially since you will only use half the # of oil filters each year too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use Synthetic oil and change the oil every 10,000k which is double the recommended 5,000k for my car. No problem doing that. It sure makes a big difference in the winter. I get a better turn over/start and the engine warms up more easily and is very smooth even in extreme temperatures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts