The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Third try ...
Would the trolls please leave their costume at the door. The management thanks you.

I NEVER was a Tele fan. Hate the looks. It has a body like it was hacked in the back shed from a leftover piece of table. Headstock is an aborted Strat shape. Again hacked from a leftover plank.

Then a friend bought a Fender Standard a few years back and he doesn't play it. Likes his acoustic better. So I asked to borrow it. Black run of the mill Tele. Strings are as old as the guitar and pups are so low, barely any sound comes out of there, and it's muffled. Twang ? Nope, not an ounce of it. So I adjusted the pups and ... geez that thing sounds good. I was expecting some kind of Strat parentage, but no, it has a voice of it's own and it ain't a cowboy sound. Now all of a sudden I'm thinking about trading him something for it. I won't change the strings and didn't adjust the action since it's not mine and I might not get it. But it sure changed my mind on Teles.

Another surprise was this video. While looking at amp reviews, this one caught my ear. I couldn't believe a cowboy guitar could sound that good on my amp.

Now this thread ... It's not the first time I hear great reviews on Rondo and I found myself wanting to know more about the SX Furrain. So please, let's try to concentrate on this guitar.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Welcome to the darkside!

(From a guy with 3 Teles. 1 regular, 1 with P-90s and one a Baritone).

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Third try ...
Would the trolls please leave their costume at the door. The management thanks you.

I NEVER was a Tele fan. Hate the looks. It has a body like it was hacked in the back shed from a leftover piece of table. Headstock is an aborted Strat shape. Again hacked from a leftover plank.

Then a friend bought a Fender Standard a few years back and he doesn't play it. Likes his acoustic better. So I asked to borrow it. Black run of the mill Tele. Strings are as old as the guitar and pups are so low, barely any sound comes out of there, and it's muffled. Twang ? Nope, not an ounce of it. So I adjusted the pups and ... geez that thing sounds good. I was expecting some kind of Strat parentage, but no, it has a voice of it's own and it ain't a cowboy sound. Now all of a sudden I'm thinking about trading him something for it. I won't change the strings and didn't adjust the action since it's not mine and I might not get it. But it sure changed my mind on Teles.

Another surprise was this video. While looking at amp reviews, this one caught my ear. I couldn't believe a cowboy guitar could sound that good on my amp.

Now this thread ... It's not the first time I hear great reviews on Rondo and I found myself wanting to know more about the SX Furrain. So please, let's try to concentrate on this guitar.

I want to like this twice

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
Tele's are a blast. I'd expect the SX to be on par with a new affinity one (which is to say, useable).

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
I really like mine. It's a short scale, 59 profile Warmoth neck with a contoured sunburst Warmoth body. I've got a humbucker in the neck right now, but I'm gonna try a mini there when my new pickguard arrives to see how it sounds.

Teles rock.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I don't have an actual Tele,but I do have these.

Leo at least made this

'88 ASAT

and a Godin Artisan TC. a Canuck made this.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I really like mine. It's a short scale, 59 profile Warmoth neck with a contoured sunburst Warmoth body. I've got a humbucker in the neck right now, but I'm gonna try a mini there when my new pickguard arrives to see how it sounds.

Teles rock.
Nice!
I’ve got one with a p90 in the neck and the Warmoth 59 neck,

And a beat up baja with a Kingston mini in the neck.

That’s low for me, only 2 teles!! :)

As for the sx, I hear on the tdpri that they’re not bad.
You get what you pay for, but as long as you’re not expecting $1000 guitar you’ll probably be happy with it.

I really like the classic vibe squiers but the necks are too thin for me.
I like em chunky.

Nathan

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Third try ...

I never liked the looks and still don't really, but I'm really starting to think its a versatile guit. The look is growing on me a little. I had one for a bit. Indonesian or Indian cedar or something. It was ok but needed more than I was willing to do so I moved it on. A coworker is going to let me take his El Degas for a bit to try out.

I don't like the selector switch orientation. I'd prefer an angled toggle, strat style if it could be done. I'd also like to try a shorter scale. I can go between the two scales ok, but prefer the shorter.

·
Yo.
1,127 Posts
I appreciate the tele for its simplicity. It is, after all, a slab of wood with a neck bolted on. Cheaply produced, easy to mass produce. But hey, it works. Not my favourite guitar, but I get why it's popular. Also, a black double bound body with a mint guard is sexy in a simple way.

I find tele pricing can be ridiculous at times when you look at it from a skill/labour standpoint. Everything about the tele is as basic as can be, but with a little marketing magic, they can cost an arm and a leg. That being said, I think the Rondos are priced very fairly for what the tele is.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I'm mostly a Gibson guy, but, if I had to chose a desert island guitar, it would probably be a tele. Assuming that island had AC. For one thing, it's practically indestructible. The other is that you can play any kind of music on it; Blues, jazz, reggae, punk, r and r, world beat, folk, country and western. It's really a Swiss army knife of a six string.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
I never liked the looks and still don't really, but I'm really starting to think its a versatile guit. The look is growing on me a little. I had one for a bit. Indonesian or Indian cedar or something. It was ok but needed more than I was willing to do so I moved it on. A coworker is going to let me take his El Degas for a bit to try out.

I don't like the selector switch orientation. I'd prefer an angled toggle, strat style if it could be done. I'd also like to try a shorter scale. I can go between the two scales ok, but prefer the shorter.
You can get a control plate with an angled slot for a Tele. And you can get short scale necks, too. I like mine a lot and the contoured body is really nice.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts

You can get switch plates with an angled switch.
Hell, Ive bought blank plates and drilled them for a Gibson style switch.

Warmoth makes a really nice conversion neck, it just bolts to a regular tele body.
Ive made bodies with the arm and belly cuts, they sound the same ;)

I like the basic ness of a tele, 2 pickups and 3 position switch and you can get a variety of sounds.
Teles force you to actually use the volume and tone knobs, not just leave everything on 10.

Plus its a perfect platform for customization, short scale necks, new neck pickups, different wiring schemes (right now I'm liking running the tone control on bridge pickup only, not on neck p90), etc.

I have no experience with the sx tele so I cant comment on the neck shape.
All I was saying is that I was impressed with the squier offerings but didn't buy one because I didn't like the necks.

Nathan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts