The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has ever played or heard the SX BG-205? I am looking to buy a new passive gigging bass (after having guessed wrong twice on the battery life in my current active bass ... thankfully near the end of sets both times ... yeah, I know: new battery every gig and wtf do you mean it happened TWICE!!??).

I am concerned about how noisy the single coil pu's may be on the BG-205.
My experience is that 4/5 of bars have crappy stage wiring - so much so that I went to the extent of making a "reverse polarity" plug to use in especially unpleasant situations as I don't have a ground lift on my amp. I used to play a MIM Fender Jazz but the noise from the single coils was actually embarrassing in some venues (though almost completely silent at home and at our rehearsal space). I am worried that I will run into the same problem with the SX.

The SX looks great and is ridiculously inexpensive from Rondo ($180US) but even at that price it's no deal if I can't use it for its intended purpose. Anybody have any experience with these? Any other suggestions for a passive 5 string (not the Peavey Grind .., had one, not a fan)? If not maybe I'll buy one anyway and provide a review ... what's the worst that can happen - it will look nice with my (very moderate 'caz I'm a bass player) GAS gear? :smile:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Never had an issue with noise on either of mine, and I'm sure we've played some of the same holes with shady wiring. :tongue: My guitarist gets a tonne of noise with his Strat, but never much from my rig.

If you like (are comfortable with) fretless, you're welcome to give either of mine a spin.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
hush said:
I'm weak! I ordered one.

Cheers to me! :food-smiley-015:
3 since April. I've already succumbed to the weakness. None

That's one of the bad things about GAS and Rondo. It only takes 2 or 3 gigs and I can afford another bass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts