The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just double checking my work before solder. 2 pickups, 1 volume. I think this is right, from vol it goes both to preamp (tone controls) and out to jack, so I haven’t got myself completely convinced. What say you?

·
Premium Member
17,617 Posts
If you are using vintage style braided shielded wire, this approach is something you might want to consider.

BTW...I missed it...your "Vol" should be to "Output" jack.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hmmm @greco Dave, if I go straight from switch to output, I would be bypassing the vol & pre. Now I’m more confused again.

Each pickup into one side of switch. Out as I described above, to the vol pot. From there one direction goes to output, other direction goes to the pre. Again I’m not convinced it’s right.

The difference from your pic is 2 volumes, like a Les Paul. I only have 1 volume.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
No you were right the first time. Switch to output jack is with 4 knob schemes (each pup has it's own V and T knobs before the switch; classic Gibson/LP config). In a master volume type situation, the volume knob MUST be after the switch just before the output; no other way.

Think of it this way: options in (whether that is pups or pup V/T controls) vs switch out. Whether the switch out goes to master volume or output jack is immaterial to whether the switch is wired correctly.

Keep calm and carry on.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No you were right the first time. Switch to output jack is with 4 knob schemes (each pup has it's own V and T knobs before the switch; classic Gibson/LP config). In a master volume type situation, the volume knob MUST be after the switch just before the output; no other way.

Think of it this way: options in (whether that is pups or pup V/T controls) vs switch out. Whether the switch out goes to master volume or output jack is immaterial to whether the switch is wired correctly.

Keep calm and carry on.
Yeah. I’m not saying my thinking was exactly that, but I was looking at a Nordstrand layout that came with the pre, nice full sized page with all, oh, 25 or so wires clearly laid out, even if most of it is pre-wired and mine is factory hand modded with pencil due to a special order lol. That doc is for 1 pup, no switch so just trying to get that right before I head for solder.

·
Premium Member
17,617 Posts
@keto, My sincere apologies.

I am so used to wiring up 2 humbuckers +2 volume pots + 2 Tone pots.

I should have asked you more about the configuration of the pickup(s) and pot(s) before jumping in with my incorrect comment. Lesson learned!

I made another stupid electronics based error in a thread recently re: the basic series/parallel wiring of speakers and the resultant impedance.

Maybe I am past my 'best before date'??!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts