The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMO one of the best songs. Never understood these lyrics :

Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
and they ve been known to pick a song or two.
Lord, they get me off so much,
they pick me up when I'm feeling blue, now how about you.

Until now.

Muscle Shoals was a recording studio in Alabama. Just got an email from a friend with this link:

http://www.realdetroitweekly.com/printer_547.shtml

Learn something everyday :smile:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
....thanks to mainstream/terrestrial radio (and NOT the quality of the song), that is one of many songs that i would be oh so happy to never have to hear again.

:mad:

hey, nice to see you and karen last week! we gotta get together and do a dinner one day.

-dh

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....thanks to mainstream/terrestrial radio (and NOT the quality of the song), that is one of many songs that i would be oh so happy to never have to hear again.
:mad:

LOL Unquestionably overplayed

hey, nice to see you and karen last week! we gotta get together and do a dinner one day.

-dh
We had a great time and it was nice to see everyone again. We'll definitely take you up on that.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Muscle Shoals was a recording studio in Alabama. Just got an email from a friend with this link:

http://www.realdetroitweekly.com/printer_547.shtml

Learn something everyday :smile:
Yup, and The Swampers were the studio house band. For some odd reason, I knew that already. Maybe from having to sing that song about 1000 times :zzz:

I love all the Skynard from that era though, it's no wonder kids are catching onto it again now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Catchty tune, but I dig Free Bird more.

·
Registered
874 Posts
We do Tuesday's Gone and Call Me The Breeze........but we refuse to do SHA....good tune but way overplayed.

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
Sweet Home Alabama? Never heard of it. Is it one of those new rock songs?

(My brain hurts.)

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
I think you have to be from the American South to really understand it. It's retort to Neil Young's song 'Alabama' (Have I got the title right???) criticizing all the bigotry in the south. Personally, I agree with Neil.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I think you have to be from the American South to really understand it. It's retort to Neil Young's song 'Alabama' (Have I got the title right???) criticizing all the vile bigotry in the south. Personally, I agree with Neil.
Perhaps that explains why it is always the really drunk rednecks that request this song so often....:sport-smiley-002::food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
Okay, suppressing the memory doesn't work.

I like SHA but it's so overplayed that my eyes glaze over just thinking about it. For guitarists though, it can be a real wankfest and I have preferred to trade solos with the piano player whenever possible. It's a staple of the local open mics, and another reason for avoiding them.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
I thought it was in response to "Southern Man".
You're right. Premature senility. I just couldn't remember the title.

·
Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Muscle Shoals was indeed a well respected studio and the Swampers were also known as the Muscle Shoals Rythym Section.

Sweet Home is a great song and yes it has been overplayed, however it has been played poorly more often than not, and WAY too frequently without piano IMO.

I wouldn't mind hearing a band take the time to play it well.

There are some very tasty guitar and piano solos in the song.

C

·
0 Posts
"Unquestionably overplayed"
If I ever hear it again, the original, or another lame cover, it'll be too soon

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I love this song.. Whenever I hear it, it just gets me going :)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
"Stop... you're both right"

I think you have to be from the American South to really understand it. It's retort to Neil Young's song 'Alabama' (Have I got the title right???) criticizing all the bigotry in the south. Personally, I agree with Neil.
neil wrote two "critical" south songs about that time...Alabama and Southern Man...SHA references both.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts