·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
My hand has always preferred the double cut

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
I can't say I'm a fan of the cheaping out on design. I hate top Jack's, the only reason for it is to be able to mount all the electronics to the guard and expedite assembly!

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I can't say I'm a fan of the cheaping out on design. I hate top Jack's, the only reason for it is to be able to mount all the electronics to the guard and expedite assembly!

The did lower retail pricing more than $600 USD over last year.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I absolutely hated it at first, but it's grown on me. Like a fungus. I still prefer the "proper" Junior, but it's a different, cheaper option. Apparently, the custom shop will still make you the old style one. It'll just cost you $4k. As @sillyak says, at least they've dropped the price.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Love everything about it except for the thin neck. Wish it had the "rounded" profile instead but still waiting to see one in a local store to try it out first.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
The 2018 single cut junior is supposed to be close to a re-issue and goes for 1,500 cdn including a hard shell case.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
This is my lament as well. Kills the classic look; makes it more S1 / Marauderish. And it's not like a getting used to it thing - the first time I saw one, a few months back, I didn't mind so much, but the more I see it the more it bothers me.

On the other hand if that's what they had to do to allow that pricepoint, then great, though I would question how much cost savings is to be had just from that alone.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
This is my lament as well. Kills the classic look; makes it more S1 / Marauderish. And it's not like a getting used to it thing - the first time I saw one, a few months back, I didn't mind so much, but the more I see it the more it bothers me.

On the other hand if that's what they had to do to allow that pricepoint, then great, though I would question how much cost savings is to be had just from that alone.
I imagine it helps reduce labour time by not having to drill the side jack hole. Route the top and done. Every bit helps.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Is the 800 on the site USD ?

If so add exchange and it’s roughly a grand plus 300 for the hardshell if you were to buy it seperately and that’s 1,300 v. 1,500 for the 2018. Not sure but I think the stupid Gibson LP case is 300 at L&M.

Edit - 230 for the Gibson case at McKrakers. The 90 Yorkville case is just as good.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Yeah $800 is USD, but the 2018 is listed as $1440 USD and, as you say, it is here for $1500 CAD. It will be cheaper, I think it's good they switch it up. Have some cheaper years in both price and features and have some more expensive years with better/more accurate features. People can buy what appeals to them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Slim Taper toothpick?
Yes, those damn skinny necks that you and I both apparently hate. And I also grossly dislike the stupid enlarged pickguard. I don't understand why Gibson can't just make a proper double cut Junior at a reasonable price with correct features and in something other than those awful matte finishes that look like bad antique furniture. I would pay more for accuracy.

As it is, I have no intention of buying any Gibson Junior. I can have my tech make a Precision Guitar kit relic'd TV Junior for me for about a grand, with all the features I want.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I like these a lot and would have bought one if I didn't already have a DC Jr. Great value and I'm sure you could sell it five years from now recouping all your money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts