The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Sushi seems to be one of my favorite types of food now? I went to this great all you an eat sushi restaurant in Markharm (On) and have to say that not only was it the best sushi I had ever eaten, it was the most enjoyable restaurant experiences I've had in a long time! The price $19.95 for everything on the menu, unlimited! :banana: What a deal! :banana:

·
Registered
635 Posts
$19.95 for everything on the menu? Either that's the deal of the century, or you ate some really cheap fish. :eek:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
nine said:
$19.95 for everything on the menu? Either that's the deal of the century, or you ate some really cheap fish. :eek:
Honestly, it really was the freshest tasting sushi I ever had. It really does sound to good to be true doesn't it?

I can't remember the name of the place?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
some sushi doesn`t have fish. Can`t eat it for lunch, my stomach just can`t handle raw fish `til dinner time or later. I easily go months without it, not really my fav Japanese food. Sushi seems to be kinda fashionable these days outside Japan. There are several kinds of sushi too...some regional types that may not be prepared the way it is known in other countries... you know, raw fish on a small slab of rice.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Damn, uncooked fish just isn't appealing to me no matter how trendy it is. Come to think of it, fish that isn't breaded and deep-fried isn't appealing to me. :smile:

Jim

·
Registered
635 Posts
Jim Jones said:
Damn, uncooked fish just isn't appealing to me no matter how trendy it is. Come to think of it, fish that isn't breaded and deep-fried isn't appealing to me. :smile:

Jim
It's not about being trendy. I don't eat "raw fish", as you put it, as a dare to show all of my friends how cool I am. Japanese food is fantastic.

You should try it sometime. You might be surprised at how much you like it. I was turned off of it for a long time due to the common "raw fish" reservations, but once I had it I was hooked.

And if you like things breaded and deep fried, they have that for you too (tempura).

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I have tried it - I hate it...it's no big deal. And I didn't mean to insinuate that people who like it only like it because it's trendy - not at all. But that doesn't mean that it isn't trendy at the moment, because it is. :smile:

Jim

·
Registered
635 Posts
If it's trendy now, then it's been trendy for 10 years. It's exactly the same as it's always been as far as I can tell.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
Had it for lunch today. Sometimes I don't think it can get better but go 3+ weeks without and it does.

:bow: :bow:
So where do you go for sushi Jeff? I like Hiro's downtown (or that other one at Banker's Hall ain't bad either). Best bang for your buck sushi in Calgary IMO is Wasabi (beside Guitarworks on 16th). Massive pieces of good quality sashimi. Most of those all you can eat places have a bunch of rules and want to feed you full of rice. I don't mind paying extra to get what I want. If you want to be truly amazed try Tojo's in Vancouver sometime.

Now you've gone and made me hungry.

Drool

Pete

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sneaky said:
So where do you go for sushi Jeff? I like Hiro's downtown (or that other one at Banker's Hall ain't bad either). Best bang for your buck sushi in Calgary IMO is Wasabi (beside Guitarworks on 16th). Massive pieces of good quality sashimi. Most of those all you can eat places have a bunch of rules and want to feed you full of rice. I don't mind paying extra to get what I want. If you want to be truly amazed try Tojo's in Vancouver sometime.

Now you've gone and made me hungry.

Drool

Pete
So far my favorite and regular place is Sakana Grill. Though that place on 4th St and 23rd(??) is pretty darn good as well.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sneaky said:
Massive pieces of good quality sashimi.
I'm never a fan of big pieces. There's something very undignified about jamming a giant piece of food into your mouth and then finding it hard to chew due to there being no more room in there. And you can't really bite any sushi in half, so it's all going in at once whether you like it or not. Haha. :eek:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
had no idea Japanese were such big noodle eaters `til I got here. Lots of kinds of noodles. Tepanyaki is great...like the Benny Hana restaurants, grilled meat...yaki niku... places are fun, customers cook it themselves on a small grill at the table...but I always leave smelling like bacon. Niku Jagga is nice, Okonomiyaki is great...no raw fish, anyways...like I said...not all sushi has fish, they have a lot of rolled sushi that contains vegetables, natto maki is about the only way I can eat those fermented soy beans without regurgitating them, don`t like sea pineapple either. don`t know how I lived without miso soup as well...but the Japanese have a varied diet and believe it or not...not all natives like raw fish ! Izakaiyas are a blast...kinda like brasseries...cheap, noisy and always full on Friday nights...they serve all kinds of food. The first Izakaiya I went to drink served the deep fried backbone of mackeral fish along side the tempura...and the foreigners all cringed, but the students said to try it...and every time after than, the foreigners were fighting over who got the bones. If you want a good calcium hit...eat shrimps with the shell on...do it all the time now.

There are, however, certain things I just will not eat...grilled sparrow, squid gizzards, cod fish sperm sacks and tuna eyes...and I ain`t makin` this up...feelin` queazy yet? Whale falls into that catagory too...though it looks so much like tuna, I may have eaten it without knowing. A doctor I know once took me and an Aussie girl to a high class place that served us a fish he pointed to in the aquarium, and it was still moving as we were eating it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Noodles are what enticed me into eating Japanese food. My friends would go out for sushi and I'd always just order beef udon soup or something. Man, I love udon noodles. They're so substantial!

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...my girlfriend and i are sashimi (raw fish) fanatics - we never tire of it.

however, its just way too expensive to go to japanese restaurants, so we buy it fresh at the st lawrence market and enjoy it at home with sushi rolls and white wine.

actually, the entire band is getting together for a sashimi feast tomorrow!

-dh

·
Registered
635 Posts
I find Japanese food to be quite inexpensive compared to eating out at other places. Then again, I'm not one of those people that can pop down sushi like it's going out of style. A couple of rolls, some gyoza, a small salad and I'm stuffed.

Wifey and I order in Japanese every Friday night. It's our treat for getting through yet another work week. :banana:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts