The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I had a Seymour Duncan Five-Two bridge pickup put in my tele. Well now I've got plans for putting a double coil noiseless pickup in the bridge position and I planned on routing out for a middle pickup in my tele. I decided to put my stock pickup back in for now and in a few weeks get the mods done. I was going to have maybe peghead in hamilton do it as they are just down the street from my office. When I opened up my guitar to put the stock pickup back in I was delightfully surprised to see that there was already a middle hole for a pickup and even the neck picjup was routed big enough for a wide double coil pup if I so decide. This was obvioulsy a factory job as I bought the guitar new from long and mcquade and the route holes are finished the same colour as the guitar.
My question is this normal practice for Fender to route spots for adding extra pups?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i don't know the answer to your question, but i have a tele with three (suhr) pickups, and i love the combination.

are you planning on selling the five-two?

incidentally, i have decided to put a dimarzio area t series noiseless single coil in the bridge of my aerodyne tele.

-dh

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I had a Custom Shop Esquire. Take the pick guard off and it was routed for a neck pickup. So it's normal practice that even the custom shop follows. Though in this case it only makes sense to do the body as a Tele and make an Esquire when needed.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
"I had a Custom Shop Esquire. Take the pick guard off and it was routed for a neck pickup. So it's normal practice that even the custom shop follows. Though in this case it only makes sense to do the body as a Tele and make an Esquire when needed.:confused-smiley-010 "

Seems to me a custom shop guitar would be made from scratch, not a "standardized" body blank.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone.

david henman said:
are you planning on selling the five-two?

incidentally, i have decided to put a dimarzio area t series noiseless single coil in the bridge of my aerodyne tele.

-dh
Yes I do plan on selling my Five-Two

Does any one have experience with Samarium Cobalt (noisless) pickups. I was in Long & Mcquades the other day discussing the different pickups that I could put in when the salesman mentioned these. I don't know anything about them. What I want to do is put something in the bridge position that beefs up the tone (more balls) and is noise cancelling but I don't want to lose that nice tele snap altogether. I was thinking of Seymour hotstack or hot rails but I think that it may alter the tele tone too much. Yet I need more thickness when overdriven.
Next I'd like to put a middle pickup in to give me a nice strat like tone. I'm thinking of just a switch installed to turn the pickup off or on. I don't want a 5 way switch installed. I've done this before and the bridge tones were sacrificed.
As far as the neck pickup goes I'll most likely leave that the way it is for now.
Any suggestions/reccomendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zdogma said:
All the american standards are routed that way.
Thats cool. I have owned about 10 different teles over the last 20 years and this is the first one that I have seen that was like this. There is even a small round hole under the pickguard for installing something like a toggle switch.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have the SCN's in my strat and love them, they are voiced to be good at most things rather than exel and one thing IMO.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
guitarman2 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Yes I do plan on selling my Five-Two

Does any one have experience with Samarium Cobalt (noisless) pickups. I was in Long & Mcquades the other day discussing the different pickups that I could put in when the salesman mentioned these. I don't know anything about them. What I want to do is put something in the bridge position that beefs up the tone (more balls) and is noise cancelling but I don't want to lose that nice tele snap altogether. I was thinking of Seymour hotstack or hot rails but I think that it may alter the tele tone too much. Yet I need more thickness when overdriven.
...mixed reviews on the SCN (samarium cobalt) pickups. i'm ordering a dimarzio t series for the bridge of one of my teles. originally i wanted a barden, but i keep reading that they are excessively trebly.

give me a shout when you're ready to sell the five-two: [email protected]

-dh

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
david henman said:
...mixed reviews on the SCN (samarium cobalt) pickups. i'm ordering a dimarzio t series for the bridge of one of my teles. originally i wanted a barden, but i keep reading that they are excessively trebly.

give me a shout when you're ready to sell the five-two: [email protected]

-dh

If you possibly had a seymour hot rails for a tele for trade I'd be interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts