The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an old Supro Dual Tone and have been looking on line for some info. Getting mixed messages from online info, looking to find out:
1) What do the four knobs do, two are volume but the others don't seem to correspond to the pick up tome controls, the bridge pickup seems to have no tone control adjustment at all but you do get adjustment when pickup selector switch is in middle position.
2) Some sites say single coil, some say humbucker, they don't sound single coil to my ear.

I'm surprised how good the action is, previous Valco guitars I owned were not this playable.

Now I need to find an original or repro bridge, not finding that on line yet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Those are big single coil pickups, not humbuckers. Whoever said they are humbuckers is mistaken. They are great sounding pickups.

It's two volume and two tones. It doesn't surprise me if the tone controls don't work. The wiring on those guitars is funky to start with, and over time, it deteriorates. Take it to a good guitar tech who can rewire it for you and get the tone controls working. I have a '58 Supro Belmont that need a total rewiring when I bought it. Now, it functions perfectly. I had my tech install a tune-o-matic type bridge on mine, which improved the intonation and playability immensely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts