The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most places will do it but the savings is probably not worth it unless you load up when Canadian Tire has its oil 60% off.
I wasn't thinking of savings. I Just took my Sonata in for an oil change at the hyundai dealership. I always ask for Synthetic. I checked my oil after the supposed oil change and it looks as black as before it was change. And how do I know they even put synthetic in? I'm just starting to lose my confidence. Was thinking of trying to find a garage that will let me supply my own oil and then I can be confident that what I want in it is the correct oil.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
Anybody here have a place they go to where they supply their own oil when getting an oil change?
There is a place I get my oil changed in town where they let you supply it or they will supply it.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
I wasn't thinking of savings. I Just took my Sonata in for an oil change at the hyundai dealership. I always ask for Synthetic. I checked my oil after the supposed oil change and it looks as black as before it was change. And how do I know they even put synthetic in? I'm just starting to lose my confidence. Was thinking of trying to find a garage that will let me supply my own oil and then I can be confident that what I want in it is the correct oil.
You can bring it by my place for an oil change. Can even provide labor as trade on gear ;) lol

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
umm. Whats the argument? If this is popcorn worthy then man you lead a boring life.:confused:
Oil posts usually turn into a shit show (like tonewood). I have a theory that every forum, no matter what the content, will have an oil debate and someone will eventually be called a Nazi. Standard internet.

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
Where I live there’s lots of shade tree mechanics operating out of their garages.
I’m sure they’d do it for you.
But any professional outfit would look at you like you have 2 heads.

Maybe go to one of those Mr Lube places where you drive over a bay and see them do it.

Reactions: boyscout

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Where I live there’s lots of shade tree mechanics operating out of their garages.
I’m sure they’d do it for you.
But any professional outfit would look at you like you have 2 heads.

Maybe go to one of those Mr Lube places where you drive over a bay and see them do it.
Yeah they take your car somewhere and you take their word for it that they actually change the oil. Or that mystery barrel #1 is regular oil and mystery barrel #2 is Synthetic. When you think about it, it would be the easiest thing to scam somebody. How would we know? All I know is that when my oil was changed I didn't expect it to be about as black as it was after 10,000 km. So its got me a little paranoid I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
I asked about the price for a synthetic oil change at Canadian Tire if I supplied the oil and filter. They quoted me a half hour at shop rates...so, like $55 plus a few bucks for disposal. Pretty much didn't save me anything even though I got the oil on sale.

To be honest, I only even went in because I was busy and it was during that recent heat wave. I generally just change it myself. Once you get the filter tool and a drain pan ($25 total) you can do a synthetic oil change with filter for about $30-$35. As a bonus, you can usually dispose of the old oil and filter for free at a local waste diversion site. Frankly businesses charging disposal fees are just a scam.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I asked about the price for a synthetic oil change at Canadian Tire if I supplied the oil and filter. They quoted me a half hour at shop rates...so, like $55 plus a few bucks for disposal. Pretty much didn't save me anything even though I got the oil on sale.

To be honest, I only even went in because I was busy and it was during that recent heat wave. I generally just change it myself. Once you get the filter tool and a drain pan ($25 total) you can do a synthetic oil change with filter for about $30-$35. As a bonus, you can usually dispose of the old oil and filter for free at a local waste diversion site. Frankly businesses charging disposal fees are just a scam.
What do you use to get your car up so you can get under it for the drain plug?

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
I use an old light duty hydraulic jack that I've had for 20 years. In a pinch the jack in your trunk will do. Or you could get a pair of those drive up wheel ramps. The car doesn't have to be raised that much to get at the oil pan drain bolt.

In any case, a jack is a good investment. There are a number of easy fixes you can do yourself and save lots of dough. Brake pads and/or rotors are a good example. Super easy.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
Oil posts usually turn into a shit show (like tonewood). I have a theory that every forum, no matter what the content, will have an oil debate and someone will eventually be called a Nazi. Standard internet.
Mr. BSTheTech, you are so right, you Nazi! :D I just figured we would get that part over with asap.

I used to get my oil from the USA when I lived in St. Catharines as it was a lot cheaper there than in Canada. The price difference made it viable for me as I also don't mind getting my hands dirty from time to time but I am no mechanic by any means.

G

·
If you use the drive up ramps you should also use jacks at the front as a dual safety precaution. That is standard safety protocol.

I always buy Mobil 1 Synthetic when it is on sale at Canadian Tire. It will come with a 4.4 litre jug and a bonus 1 litre jug attached to it for around $35. I buy 2 or 3 of them at a time to stock up.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I use to use wheel ramps. They have a divot at the top. Car isn’t going anywhere. I stopped doing my own when CanTire started refusing to take the old oil. Local oil change place I go to lubes everything, tops up all my fluids, offers free top ups between changes, reports back on anything weird happening underneath, checks air/cabin filters, lights, turn signals, radiator level, ph, and temp rating, gives me a coffee, paper, and a free car wash. If there’s no lineup I’m in/out in about 15-20 minutes. Love those guys.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts