The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just wondering what you're taking. I'm also wanting to see if anyone has ideas for a high protein/high calorie/low carb meal replacement drink.

I'm currently taking krill oil, coconut oil, d3, Garlic, and Carnitine. I also take a post-workout replenishment shake.

I need to find a lower dose of magnesium, since it gives me serious headaches (a typical side-effect).

What are you guys taking and why?

·
Premium Member
8,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We basically take nothing out of a bottle. We blew $400 or so a vitamix and every morning we make up a smoothie loaded with all the good stuff. You can put just abut anything into them. Many recipes available online to get what you want and need in a healthy booster. You can even make soups in the thing if you want.
A buddy of mine has one. Good units.

Maybe I'll try to track down a recipe and see if it meets my needs. I really need high calorie/protein low carb right now.

·
Premium Member
8,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a scam. Unless you are sick, you can get all of your nutrition from a balanced diet. Mostly, it just makes for expensive pee.
That's not true at all. There are a lot of studies that support the fact we are deficient in specific vitamins. Especially vitamin D and magnesium.

You can begin by explaining how we get vitamin D from a good diet when there is no sun. That specific vitamin is used in so many biochemical processes within our body that it's absolutely necessary to get the proper amount, or you'll start to draw it from other areas of the body which will catch up to you eventually

I can cite the above when I get home, if you like.

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
That's not true at all. There are a lot of studies that support the fact we are deficient in specific vitamins. Especially vitamin D and magnesium.

You can begin by explaining how we get vitamin D from a good diet when there is no sun. That specific vitamin is used in so many biochemical processes within our body that it's absolutely necessary to get the proper amount, or you'll start to draw it from other areas of the body which will catch up to you eventually

Vitamin D is extremely good for us and in Canada 90% of people are deficient and some hugely. The anti sun people don't help. I may be a bit bias because we run tanning beds over at our shop but I recommend people get in through the winter. You don't have to tan, just get some D. Even 4 minutes or so a week will charge you up huge. Way more than you can get from any supplement. I am not a tanner myself but I try to get in at least once a week for about 5 minutes. That's all it takes. Especially for people that work indoors all year. Salmon is a good source but you would have to eat it until you got sick to get what you can from the sun in 10 minutes. And stop covering yourself with 30 sunscreen all year. It's not healthy

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts

I was generalizing a bit, you're right. But vitamin D is one of the few where I will concede your point. And of course, if you're working out intensely or some other form of training where you push your body hard, then yes, I can see where certain supplements would be useful. But your average, run-of-the-mill person gets most of what they need from their diet. Vitamin D, especially up here in Canada, may be an exception. But I still think most supplements just lead to expensive pee.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I agree with the $$ pee. Maybe thats good for R Kelly, but we eat very clean at home so I don't bother.

One thing I am very interested in as a new 'superfood' that apparently actually makes you feel better right away is broccoli sprouts. (active ingredient sulforaphane, hope I spelt that right.) Apparently has clinically proven effects to improve cognitive function, memory among others.

I heard about it on the Joe Rogan podcast:

I need to buy seeds bulk online or something, at the organic place near by they are way too much money.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
LOL "organic" and "too much money" usually go hand in hand. I'll have to look into those sprouts. I find that these "superfood" claims are usually overblown.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
LOL "organic" and "too much money" usually go hand in hand. I'll have to look into those sprouts. I find that these "superfood" claims are usually overblown.
I agree, and cringed writing that word, hence the parentheses. Im sure the seeds are easier to find somewhere agricultural, but here it was my only choice to give it a try. 5 or 6 medium mason jars made two large ziplock bags full of sprouts which I froze right away.

Im ignoring the food itself and am intrigued primarily by the sulforaphane aspect as it has been clinically tested from concentrate from various sources and the studies had good controls. I saw this on the joe rogan podcast and I only tried it because I hate eating kale that my GF loves for the same reason, and this is a better tasting happy compromise that has a lot more of the supposed active ingredient. Plus you can grow a metric shit tonne in days.

Yeah, slow day here.. just thought I'd share!

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
The D3 you are taking is something that pretty well all of us in northern climes should consider. We simply don't get enough sunshine in the winter months to get enough D3 from the sun. If you are lacking energy in the winter, that may well be the culprit. (This info is from my heath professional).

Reactions: bluebayou

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
We basically take nothing out of a bottle. We blew $400 or so a vitamix and every morning we make up a smoothie loaded with all the good stuff. You can put just abut anything into them. Many recipes available online to get what you want and need in a healthy booster. You can even make soups in the thing if you want.
Bought the Blendtec at Costco in the last year and been doing the same (170+ smoothies in according to the counter). Add spinach for the protein. I change it up and replace the smoothie with Oatmeal especially in the winter. These units (Vitamix, Blendtec and another brand) come up on sale at Costco all the time. They slice/dice/etc but I only use it for smoothies. I have convinced my kids to have one every once and a while (minus the spinach!).

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Calcium, vitamin D and Omega 3 or 6 can't remember right now.

Quinoa, cheese and yogurt are my sources of protein. Quinoa is a complete source of protein!

I get what I need though from my food sources!

Vitamin D and calcium are best taken together!

Already in bed. Just too lazy to see if it's Omega 3 or 6! I know that we get an adequate source of one of them in the foods we eat!

I would rather eat the nutrients required than drink it!

·
Premium Member
6,254 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just wondering what you're taking. I'm also wanting to see if anyone has ideas for a high protein/high calorie/low carb meal replacement drink.

I'm currently taking krill oil, coconut oil, d3, Garlic, and Carnitine. I also take a post-workout replenishment shake.

I need to find a lower dose of magnesium, since it gives me serious headaches (a typical side-effect).

What are you guys taking and why?
What effect does all that wonderfull sounding stuff have on your farts? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Only thing i take out of a bottle is beer.

Packs on the molson muscle quite well.

Edit: I do have a bottle of Vitamin D but havent used the stuff in a while. Probably should lol

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
What effect does all that wonderfull sounding stuff have on your farts? Inquiring minds want to know.
Stinky farts reign supreme at my house. I honestly have to leave and get fresh air!

It's called "Body builders fart syndrome". lol Nas T!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts