The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be honest I've never heard of this being done before but, going by the video, it looks like it does a good job.

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
That was really cool! I would love to give it a go. This stuff looks fairly easy to apply.

The finished wood looks just beautiful!

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
I use it when I make my pens. Was wondering when it would be done on a guitar

Reactions: Kenmac

·
Premium Member
18,596 Posts
I was expecting the video to be by a forumite we have on another board, who has some unorthodox techniques :p

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Man that's gotta be hard on the brain cells.... yikes,

I used super glue a lot but only in very small doses and it stinks.
I can't imagine doing a whole guitar with it.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Don’t do it - this stuff if nasty. The fumes are terrible - wear a mask and your eyes will water like crazy.

This has a tendency to turn white once it dries. Superglue is used to stabilize certain woods (like spalted maple) and fill small voids. As an actual topcoat, there are soooo many better options available.

I haven’t watched the video yet; I suspect if you were to try this as a topcoat you will end up regretting it.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man that's gotta be hard on the brain cells.... yikes,

I used super glue a lot but only in very small doses and it stinks.
I can't imagine doing a whole guitar with it.

Nathan
Don’t do it - this stuff if nasty. The fumes are terrible - wear a mask and your eyes will water like crazy.

This has a tendency to turn white once it dries. Superglue is used to stabilize certain woods (like spalted maple) and fill small voids. As an actual topcoat, there are soooo many better options available.

I haven’t watched the video yet; I suspect if you were to try this as a topcoat you will end up regretting it.
In the video he does mention that it doesn't smell bad. I guess this is a specially made type that doesn't have as strong a smell as regular superglue.

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
I think they guy used a special form of CA glue that doesn't stink. the stuff I have at home makes your eyes water when you look at the tube. LOL. The CA glue is a super hard finish, and polishes up like a dream, but I wonder if it affects tone (hides behind the couch)

Reactions: Ayr Guitars

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
You have to be committed to the outcome because getting it off is a heap of effort. I have to say the results look good.
I stripped an AXL 1216 Badwater with a heat gun and under the krinkle crap, found CA used as a sealer/filler. It was days of manual scraping and hard as rock! I'd bet it stands up pretty good on the backside to fight buckle rash ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts