The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into a Sunrise Records shop yesterday. You may recall that they bought some of the former HMV outlets, and are trying to bring back "the record shop".

This particular location had not been an HMV. I think it may have been a shoe store or somethingseasonal, previously. What was interesting was its filing system. There were no "sections" (country, alternative, R&B, jazz, etc.). EVERYthing was in one continuous alphabetical section, without regard to genres. So I found Thelonius Monk right after Them Crooked Vultures.

Weird. I'm still not sure if I think it is an adventurous scheme intended to foster serendipity and musical exploration, or merely a product of ignorance, laziness, or simple haste. BUt it's different, I'll grant you.

Has anyone else stumbled onto something similar at any other Sunrise outlets?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The irony is HMV almost pushed Sunrise out of the market "back in the day"....

At least they're trying. I think it's good a brick & mortar retailer is attempting to regain some of the pie from the on-line download market. I am a tactile guy, I like having a hard copy. I was one of the last of my friends to still purchase CD's. I never stopped collecting vinyl, so I'm back to that. I like how most new LP's have a digital download. That way I can still load the tunes onto my phone or iPod. Yes, I said iPod!! I still have one. Can't take your records on a road trip, and I don't want to clog up my phone with that much music. The iPod is 180G.

·
Premium Member
18,822 Posts
So I found Thelonius Monk right after Them Crooked Vultures.
This is my laugh for the day! Thanks!

Has anyone else stumbled onto something similar at any other Sunrise outlets?
One of our 'local' Sunrise stores (Cambridge) is by "sections".

I haven't been to the (other) one in Kitchener (Fairview Mall)
Maybe @SWLABR knows if it is in "sections" or "alphabetical"

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I haven't been into a "new" Sunrise yet... I still don't buy much new vinyl, I go to places with mostly used, and some new. I really should check it out though. My buddy said the one in Guelph is really good.

·
Premium Member
3,689 Posts
I popped into the one in Newmarket just after Christmas. They didn't seem to have the traditional "sections" either. I imagine that is at least partly due to the proliferation of sub-genres and that fact that no one wants to think of their particular tastes as "Pop". I was very surprised how busy the store was. I think that the one in Newmarket has always been a Sunrise branded store.

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
Their band t-shirts are cheap @ 2 for $20, that's pretty much Wal Mart pricing if not better, and the stores around here have pretty good selection. I have a bunch.

·
Premium Member
13,362 Posts
The one in the Bonnie Doon mall in Edmonton has sections. It was previously an HMV. I am surprised they opened that one up given that both Target and Sears have gone belly up within the last five years. Biggest outlets there a Stitches Factory Outlet, Shoppers Drug Mart and Dollarama.

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
I haven't been into a "new" Sunrise yet... I still don't buy much new vinyl, I go to places with mostly used, and some new. I really should check it out though. My buddy said the one in Guelph is really good.
The "new" vinyl is superior to the "old". Heavier (deep grooves for better sound and no warpage). Centred (no tonearm waving at you). Silent as a CD. The new ones are made with pride, not the mass-produced crap from back in the day. I have replaced some of my favourites. Hendrix, Love, Grateful Dead, Mothers of Invention, etc.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I don’t buy a lot of new vinyl either, the prices are ridiculous. I was happy to see Sunrise go in that direction and replace HMV, but dismayed at the outrageous pricing.

And while new vinyl may be thicker, etc, a lot of the rereleases are from digital masters and don’t sound as good. There are some exceptions, like a couple Hendrix and Sabbath reissues that are from the analogue masters, and ZZ ones, but newer Pearl Jam rereleases sound horrible, among others.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The "new" vinyl is superior to the "old". Heavier (deep grooves for better sound and no warpage). Centred (no tonearm waving at you). Silent as a CD. The new ones are made with pride, not the mass-produced crap from back in the day. I have replaced some of my favourites. Hendrix, Love, Grateful Dead, Mothers of Invention, etc.
I do own a good chunk of "new", and you're right, the quality, thickness is better. Something about the old stuff I like. I love finding a first press, or a hard to find label. I have 3 Smiths pieces issued on Rough Trade. They are the pride and joy of my collection. Along with a numbered White Album.
The only new one I'm really disappointed with is a Tragically Hip release of Road Apples. It was released on Music on Vinyl. It is terrible!! Ghosting, and just overall poor sound. I have Fully Completely, and Day for Night released on MCA and they are great!
Agree with all the flabbergasted folks at the price tag on new!

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Huh? I thought that $20 to $30 was dirt cheap. What are they going for now?

Pearl Jam? Would that be a classic analog recording in the first place. I know nothing about these "new" acts. Lol.

My new Doors albums are wonderful.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I think without sections would be easier. Perhaps more to dig through, but at least the grey area stuff is not in the wrong category as someone else mentioned. I'm glad to see Surise carrying on. I dont care for online buying.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I do own a good chunk of "new", and you're right, the quality, thickness is better. Something about the old stuff I like. I love finding a first press, or a hard to find label. I have 3 Smiths pieces issued on Rough Trade. They are the pride and joy of my collection. Along with a numbered White Album.
The only new one I'm really disappointed with is a Tragically Hip release of Road Apples. It was released on Music on Vinyl. It is terrible!! Ghosting, and just overall poor sound. I have Fully Completely, and Day for Night released on MCA and they are great!

Yes, I was super disappointed with the sound of Road Apples, as well as Up To Here, and they were $50-60 each.

Huh? I thought that $20 to $30 was dirt cheap. What are they going for now?

Pearl Jam? Would that be a classic analog recording in the first place. I know nothing about these "new" acts. Lol.

My new Doors albums are wonderful.
Most of the albums I or my daughters were interested in were $80 more, unfortunately. For one album.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Dont buy overpriced classics.
Totally. I got Sabotage and Are You Experienced new for $20 each a couple years ago, both are from the analogue masters and both sound fantastic. That’s the range/quality level that should be the norm, to me.

We were in Sunrise the other day and my daughter wanted the new Taylor Swift album and it was $70. She also wanted the Stranger Things soundtrack and that was $80. I wanted the new QOTSA record and it was $50.

Sorry to go on about it... really bugs me. :D Here they have a physical music product people are willing to pay for and they’re pricing it through the roof.

Anyway, what is the name of your band? I’ll look for the record in our Sunrise.

·
Premium Member
18,599 Posts
Hey @TubeStack you will have to order it in. Sparrows - Let the silence stay where it was.

As for pricing of popular bands, its what people will pay. A double LP will cost more as well. A single LP should be $25-$35 if its not a rarer pressing, in my limited knowledge.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts