The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those in the Montreal area that want to come out and play, there is a cool laid back Open Jam at 855 Decari in St-Laurent starting between 8-9 pm.

Last night was the first night so there wasn't many ppl walking up but it shure sounded great, the PA system rocks. Hope to see some of you there :DevilGuitar:

BTW beer is only 3 bucks a bottle and there is a terrasse outside :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
open jams can take a while to get going, we have been doing one here for a while and we finally have enough coming out to make it worth while. The way ours work is the host band (that would be us) does a 40-50 minute set then invites others to the floor.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PaulS said:
open jams can take a while to get going, we have been doing one here for a while and we finally have enough coming out to make it worth while. The way ours work is the host band (that would be us) does a 40-50 minute set then invites others to the floor.
sounds like a blast, the only thing that sucks about the one here is it's on Sunday night :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
We've made a deal with the bar owner for thursday nights. There is three of us bass/drums/guitar and we get compensated for being the host band. Usually a few people show up and we do a few sets with them and who ever else should come around...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
had a blast this week end, hope some of you can come...TheTallCoolOne?

here is a pic of one of the jams:

RobDog on drums, Mike on Guitar/lead vocals, Carl on percussion(crazy good for santana jams) Jimmy on Bass(formaly in Walter Rossi's Band in the 80's) and me with the silver strat playing Rythm/Lead. Some good players here, hoping for some more :DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
when you do your open jams/mics, do you set down guidelines to keep things under control ?? like stage time, volume levels etc....

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"Who are the Brain Police?"

comment on veut dit "jam" en francais?

Do the "Language Police" ever hassle you over it?

I worry about such things! :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
PaulS said:
when you do your open jams/mics, do you set down guidelines to keep things under control ?? like stage time, volume levels etc....
no guide lines, but the sound guy is fantastic, he keeps everyone in line and even throws effects your way when you are missing them, like delay on Floyd leads. I have been invited to join the house band...These guys have way more experience than me and I get to ride their coat tails :tongue: most of the ppl who come to jam are older and understand dinamics in a band setting. there where the odd "my volume stays at 11 all the time" the sound guy takes care of those dudes :D Lots of fun. Last weekend we closed with "Wish you were here" with the smoke machine going and and dark blue stage lighting, it had a major effect on the mood of the song.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wild Bill said:
comment on veut dit "jam" en francais?

Do the "Language Police" ever hassle you over it?

I worry about such things! :)
I don't pay attention to that stuff...I grew up bilingual and never took sides, the language police are rediculous, a$$hats for sure :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
We were hoping that it wouldn't come to it but there were a few younger ones with the big amps and no respect for jamming. We are trying to help promote some of the local talent and offer them a venue to be heard but when someone jumps up in the middle of there song and murders it with lead riffs then something had to be done. Hopefully it will blow over....

unfortuneately we have no sound man so it's hard to keep tabs on volume.

·
Registered
546 Posts
SCREEM said:
I don't pay attention to that stuff...I grew up bilingual and never took sides, the language police are rediculous, a$$hats for sure :D
Damned straight there. Semi Bilingual, my first girlfriend spoke no English.

I'll come by and check it out next Sunday.

I'm to Chicken Merde to bring a guitar, maybe if I get up the nerve after watching a while.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Come by dude, you can use my strat+setup for a whole set. You will love it!

It starts at 10pm this sunday because, it's the finals for "the battle of the Bands" If you want to come at a quieter time come the folowing sunday. :DevilGuitar:

Dont worrie about the songs, they are easy ones....Blues progressions and classic rock tunes mostly, no YYZ or anything like that :D

BTW ask for Marc....or the guy who owns that silver strat on stage.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Just back, played bluesy rock for a while. WE ended up with a reggae group on stage.

It was fun, I've never played with a reggae band. I might of looked a little out of place (middle aged white man) on a stage full of young black men.

Everybody seemed to have a good time. Got home a 2:30 Monday morning.

I'll go back next week with a guitar:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right on man!, it was fun...the reggae guys where good.

You play a mean guitar elindso :DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Didn't get to sing, I'll break it to them slowly.

A really nice bunch of people. It isn't a huge room which is nice.

The guys are great. I'll be back next week. it was a blast. I actually was up there for a couple of hours.

Thanks for the invite Marc, and thanks for the rig. Great axe!!

·
Premium Member
16,682 Posts
I'm working on putting together a business trip that will put me in Montreal this Sunday evening. if it comes together, I may just drop in to the club and listen or maybe play a couple of tunes.

I'll know today.

Edit:

It's a go. I'll be there Sunday night and look forward to meeting you and Elindso. Elindso was kind enough to offer the use of one of his guitars should I feel the desire to get up and embarrass myself.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Milkman said:
I'm working on putting together a business trip that will put me in Montreal this Sunday evening. if it comes together, I may just drop in to the club and listen or maybe play a couple of tunes.

I'll know today.

Edit:

It's a go. I'll be there Sunday night and look forward to meeting you and Elindso. Elindso was kind enough to offer the use of one of his guitars should I feel the desire to get up and embarrass myself.
awesome:banana: You are welcome to use whatever I bring, maybe Lindsay will bring that crazy nice goldtop of hisDrool

1 - 20 of 33 Posts