The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love this guy's playing. Nice to see him rocking a sig guitar of his own spec. If I thought it would make me a 10th of the guitar player he is I'd spend the bucks on one.

Check out "The Snazzmaster"

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I like the hybridized suhr/strat headstock.
Evocative of the '50's but definitely a Suhr.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I'm about to watch the video right now. Looks like a sweet guitar, and Ian will make it that much sweeter sounding......I'm sure. He's one of my favorites now. Just within the last 2 years or 3.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
The headstock is cool and love the color

·
Registered
511 Posts
1) Thornley is crazy talented. To be that good a player, and songwriter and singer....it seems unfair to the rest of us.
2) Suhr guitars are, from what I understand, brilliantly built.
3) That guitar looks great. Normally I am not big on that colour, but it works here, to my eyes at least.
4) Soft V carve? (winces)...not for me, sadly.

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts
My first impressions weren't good, but I have to say it's really growing on me.

Props to Mr. Thornley for creating something unique as a sig model. So many sigs are 'just anther strat/tele/LP/SG/' with only tiny differences. This is a bit unique, melding offset body and some of its controls with some Gibson-ie kinda things. It stands out from the crowd.

He is more than just a great guitar player. And a great singer. And a great writer. Wait, I'm starting to hate him more and more - why does one guy get so much sauce in his bottle? It's not faaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrr. *#*(

Reactions: Moot

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
John Suhr was a guest recently on the GuitarWank podcast. He spoke very highly of Ian Thornley. And it was very cool to hear the attention to detail that Suhr puts into his work.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
it was very cool to hear the attention to detail that Suhr puts into his work.
In one of his factory tour videos, he tells the camera that they get the neck cut and then it sits for a month. If it warps, it gets scrapped and they start again. But then they go on and finish the neck (sanding, fretting)..thats pretty awesome

·
Registered
569 Posts
I agree it looks fantastic. But it is usual for a signature guitar to be unlike the guitars the artist usually plays? I guess St. Vincent went this route too...

Someday I'll make my own signature guitar and it will be a totally new body shape.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts