The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
If you're gonna do a take on the classic LP wouldn't you tackle the issues that made it less than perfect? I'd imagine they're great quality and they're definitely pretty but It doesn't appear they made any improvement on the neck heel for better upper fret access for one thing.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
If you're gonna do a take on the classic LP wouldn't you tackle the issues that made it less than perfect? I'd imagine they're great quality and they're definitely pretty but It doesn't appear they made any improvement on the neck heel for better upper fret access for one thing.
Well,seems to me the neck heel doesn't bother the majority of LP fans.
Gibson addressed the issue with their Axcess model and from what I can tell they are not taking over a big chunk of sales.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Well,seems to me the neck heel doesn't bother the majority of LP fans.
Gibson addressed the issue with their Axcess model and from what I can tell they are not taking over a big chunk of sales.
Considering the Axcess also has a Floyd that may explain the sales numbers. If they were to offer the carved heel without the Floyd and made it price competitive with their standard I'd bet they'd see more sales. I've given up on Gibson making any significant changes (except whiz bang tech nonsense that's outdated 6 months after release) but a different company has a pretty clean slate and given the look of these Suhr models they're clearly going for the LP aesthetic. It wouldn't kill 'em to make a few genuine improvements along the way.

Reactions: Roryfan

·
Premium Member
19,732 Posts
Considering the Axcess also has a Floyd that may explain the sales numbers. If they were to offer the carved heel without the Floyd and made it price competitive with their standard I'd bet they'd see more sales. I've given up on Gibson making any significant changes (except whiz bang tech nonsense that's outdated 6 months after release) but a different company has a pretty clean slate and given the look of these Suhr models they're clearly going for the LP aesthetic. It wouldn't kill 'em to make a few genuine improvements along the way.
Then it would just be a PRS ;).

Yamaha did the no heel thing on the weddington, it didnt take off.

·
Banned
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this just in,,,., nobody cares and all the guitars have been sold with a waiting list for the next batch

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Then it would just be a PRS ;).

Yamaha did the no heel thing on the weddington, it didnt take off.
Yeah, I've always jonzed for a Weddington! ;)
One thing about PRS is they did take classic designs and made improvements. I think they're doing alright by it!
Suhr has a good rep for quality instruments but they definitely are nosing into the "boutiquey" range for prices. My original assessment stands IMHO. They could have done these better from what little I can see in the pictures at least.

Reactions: Budda

·
Banned
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I've always jonzed for a Weddington! ;)
One thing about PRS is they did take classic designs and made improvements. I think they're doing alright by it!
Suhr has a good rep for quality instruments but they definitely are nosing into the "boutiquey" range for prices. My original assessment stands IMHO. They could have done these better from what little I can see in the pictures at least.
I always considered them boutique

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
It seems like they did address upper fret access:
  • An authentic, deep-dish carve top.
  • Vintage-accurate scale length.
  • Frets that lay over the binding.
  • Straighter string pull at the headstock, along with a less than traditional break angle.
  • More ergonomic body contours.
  • Improved upper fret access.
  • A lightweight body that isn’t chambered or weight relieved.
If you look at the photos, there appear to be some subtle alterations to the LP design that could make it easier to get up there.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
It seems like they did address upper fret access:
  • An authentic, deep-dish carve top.
  • Vintage-accurate scale length.
  • Frets that lay over the binding.
  • Straighter string pull at the headstock, along with a less than traditional break angle.
  • More ergonomic body contours.
  • Improved upper fret access.
  • A lightweight body that isn’t chambered or weight relieved.
I'd like to try one. The heel from the pics appear very similar to the Gibson LP but perhaps they've addressed it in some way.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
They do actually make an Axcess with a stopbar tailpiece,
I don't know how they compare pricewise to the Standard .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.